Lounger
    Thanks

Disk striping in Windows 2000 Pro?

Does anyone know if you can do disk striping in Windows 2000 Professional?

Given that the hard disk is the bottleneck in today's systems, I wanted to see if I could implement disk striping to speed things up. But I have not yet figured out how to do that, and cannot find any information on how to do it.

I was thinking I could do it with two hard disks. Partition the first with a small "system" partition, and install 2000 on the second ("boot") partition. And then make that "boot" partition a striped partition with a partition on the second hard disk.

So, a couple questions here, I guess. Can a "boot" partition be striped, or can you only do that with data drives? And, if it can be done, how do you implement it?

Thanks

Re: Disk striping in Windows 2000 Pro?

Yes.
    See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q175/7/61.ASP>Q175761</A> for a little more info.

Lounger
    Thanks

I found and read that before I posted, and didn't find it too helpful. It's mostly definitions, just like the the Windows 2000 help file, and just as sparse on instructions.

The one instructional part I picked out is this:

"Upgrading a disk from basic to dynamic can be done from the Disk Management MMC Snap-in. In Programs, go to select Disk Management from Administrative Tools. You may be prompted to upgrade your disks or you can right-click the disk to upgrade it. "

But I cannot find any options in the Disk Management console to create anything dynamic.

Scratch that; I just found something. You have to right-click on the gray disk "icon" itself (not on the partitions that might make up a drive, even if it's only one partition). There I see an option to "Upgrade to Dynamic Disk". Let's see where that takes me....

Thanks

Just came across this at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.labmice.net/diskmgmt/RAID.htm>labmice</A> - you may find some useful links/background reading there.