New Lounger
    Thanks

Trouble Opening Word 2000/2003 File

I created a file in Word 2003 (XP) and sent it to someone, who uses Word 2000, for additions. After she added information and returned the file to me, I can't open it. Attached is the whole story and what we've tried. I'm desperate for a solution to this problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Trouble Opening Word 2000/2003 File

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

From the statement in your attachment
    <hr>Sent the file to another Word 2003 (XP) user, who was able to open the file. The other XP user made a small change to the file and sent it to me.<hr>
    I would conclude that the problem is not in the document, but in your installation of Word 2003.

First. try Help | Detect and Repair in Word, then try to open the document again.

If it doesn't work, quit Word, select Start | Run... in Windows, type winword /r and press Enter. Then try to open the document.

If that doesn't help either, see Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>.

Thanks

Re: Trouble Opening Word 2000/2003 File

Does the document contain any embedded objects, such as Office documents (e.g., Excel chart, PowerPoint slide, Visio drawing) or Word objects (e.g., Equation Editor object)? It's possible that the older object is not supported in Office 2003, or that a newer object became corrupted when it was opened in Word 2000. Ask the collaborator to do a Save As and remove any embedded objects. This may be more obvious when viewing field codes (toggle with Alt+F9) and looking for EMBED fields. If the objects can be replaced by pictures, often they will convert quickly by selecting them and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9. Does it help?