3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

east asian languages (WIN XP Home)

Hi I have a Japanese friend visiting so want to install East Asian Language support. The wizard looks for a file njis.xls ... I have an OEM copy of the windows CD but can't find this file on it anywhere. Does anyone know how I can get Japanese language support?

Thanks

Re: east asian languages (WIN XP Home)

Does this Installing East Asian Language Support Under Windows XP article - or the links at the bottom of the page - help?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif but it doesn't help as I need to install files which should be on the Windows XP disk but my version (compaq OEM) doesn't seem to have them.

Thanks

I haven't checked too closely, and I know it is not for XP, but
    MSKB 311016: How to enable East Asian language support for Word 2002 on computers that are running Windows 98 and Windows Me
    may give you a few pointers...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Karen and Leif,

I just re-installed Win2K and Office 2002 on my laptop after upgrading the hard disk. I did the innumerable Windows and Office updates as required. In the Office Update screens, all the Asian language IME's were waiting to be downloaded. Office Update pages might be the place to go. I don't think you need Office installed, because you can go directly to the download pages.

I gave up on Asian language IME's a few years ago because at one time Microsoft seemed to have abandoned giving them away as free downloads. Instead, I was forced to buy from Microsoft a $70 package called "Proofing Tools" that had all the IME's for every conceivable non-English language on it. On my desktop running Office 2003 and Windows XP Pro SP2, I bought the Office 2003 version of Proofing Tools. However, now that I see that IME's (for Asian languages,anyway) are back on the Office Updates site, maybe I don't have to buy Proofing Tools in the future!

Anyway, Karen, good luck on getting the appropriate IME's from the Office Update sites!

Howard

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for you help. I think I am after a file called xjis.nls because I want to install the language on Windows not just office. That said I downloaded and ran the IME files and while the installation seemed to go okay I still can't see how you actually use them.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Karen,

I use the "language bar" that you can float on the desktop. (I am excerpting parts of the help file --- I think it's Windows Help --- after my message.) The language bar is like a floating tool bar on the windows desktop.

On the language bar that parks itself on the upper right corner of the screen, the default is "English (United States)", which is the usual way our PCs are configured. However, if you installed various IME's (Japanese in your case), the language(s) you installed are also available as options. In my bar, I have Japanese, Korean, and a couple of flavors of Chinese. When I do some writing in (my admittedly poor) Japanese, I switch the langauge bar to "Japanese," and then I select the input mode to the "Hiragana" option. You can then hand over the PC to your Japanese guest. If your guest is familiar with PC usage in Japan, then your guest should be quite at home with using the US keyboard to enter the Japanese in "romaji" for conversion to "Hiragana" and then to Japanese "Kanji" characters. (Hopefully your guest will know what I am writing about here.) Input in Japanese (or Chinese or Korean) is possible in all Windows applications, not just Office programs. I just tried entering Japanese in this Woody's Lounge posting box with no problems at all. Warning: if you're sending something written in Japanese, say, to somebody else for that somebody to read in Japanese, then that somebody has to have Japanese language support installed and turned on in their PCs --- otherwise they get gibberish, much like you'd get gibberish if you attempt to view a Japanese or Chinese webpage without installing the respective language supports.)

Anyway, read on below about how to turn the Language Bar on. Good luck!

--- Howard

HELP FILE ITEMS ABOUT LANGUAGE BAR:

Language bar overview

The Language bar is a floating toolbar that appears on your desktop automatically when you add handwriting recognition, speech recognition, or an Input Method Editor (IME) as a method of inserting text. In addition, if you add a second language or keyboard layout, you can display the Language bar from the taskbar.

The Language bar enables you to easily switch between and perform tasks related to entering text. For example, if you are entering text with a handwriting input device, use the buttons on the Language bar to open the Writing Pad window, from which you can insert handwritten text into your document.

The buttons and options that are displayed on the Language bar depend on the text services you have installed, and the software program that is currently active. For example, Microsoft Word 2002 supports speech recognition, while Notepad does not. If both programs are running, the speech buttons are displayed when Microsoft Word is active, but disappear when you make Notepad the active program.

You can move the Language bar anywhere on your screen, minimize it to the taskbar, or make it nearly transparent. If you do not use it, you can close it. You should remove text services that you do not use, as they require computer memory and can affect performance.

If you are using a tablet computer, you can use Tablet PC Input Panel for handwriting and speech tasks. For more information about Input Panel, click Related Topics.

To show the Language bar

1. Open Regional and Language Options in Control Panel.
    2. On the Languages tab, under Text services and input languages, click Details.
    3. Under Preferences, click Language Bar.
    4. Select the Show the Language bar on the desktop check box.

Notes

* To open Regional and Language Options, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Regional and Language Options.

* The Language bar is displayed automatically if you install a text service such as handwriting, speech, or an Input Method Editor (IME). However, if you close the Language bar, you can use this procedure to redisplay it.

* If you minimized the Language bar to the taskbar, click the Language icon () on the taskbar and then click Show the Language bar.

* Once the Language bar is displayed, you can right-click it to display a menu. Use this menu to change settings for the Language bar, such as docking it on the taskbar or adding text labels.

* If you are using a tablet computer, you can use Tablet PC Input Panel for handwriting and speech tasks. For more information about Input Panel, click Related Topics.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all for your replies.... What you described Howard was exactly what I was after. My problem was installing the Japanese as an option. It kept asking for a file which was not on my Windows CD -- XP is supposed to come with it. Anyway the upshot was

1. Searched the web and located the file
    2. On first install for some reason only Chinese was installed - No option for Japanese
    3. System became unstable - crashing on start up
    4. Went to a restore point
    5. Repeated the processes
    6. Now everything is lovely

Go figure!

Anyway thank you all for your help.