3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook, removed profiles and trouble (2003 and XP)

Bad IT guy took an XP Pro P2P network and made client server this weekend. Unfortunately "Bob" owns the business and 11 of the original users were "Bob". They changed "Bob" to their name under user profile. XP apparently still sees (in Registry?) users as Bob.
    Server will not allow 11 Bob's with different passwords.
    IT guy changed user names to "???old" then created all new users, transferred data under "Documents and Settings". Then test network logon with new user names and passwords.
    IT guy then deletes old profile but does check "keep" old users data.
    IT Guy forgets about Outlook.
    Users no longer have Address Book/Contacts or E-Mails.
    IT guy hides in caves while things cool off.
    Roll back does not work, changing profile to "???2" and then roll back still does not work.
    PST file could not be found.
    Anyone with ideas would be appreciated. IT guy would like to get paid on or before Christmas Eve! Besides it is had to dodge chairs being thrown when the hall is so small.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook, removed profiles and trouble (2003 an

Sorry, but I don't really understand whether you are just one of the many people who used to be "Bob" or whether you are the IT guy.<UL><LI>Which are you? <LI>What Operating System is now running on the Server?<LI>Do you have Administrator rights on your own machine locally? (This is completely different from whether or not you have Administrator rights on the network.)[/list]HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Me IT
    Bob user that previous IT set up everyone
    Everyone change Bob to their name
    Windows Server 2003
    Me Admin on all
    ; )

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>IT guy changed user names to "???old" then created all new users, transferred data under "Documents and Settings". Then test network logon with new user names and passwords.
    >IT guy then deletes old profile but does check "keep" old users data.

All the Outlook Data that you mention is stored in a PST file that normally is under Cocuments and Settings[username]Local Settings.....

When you refer to "...transferred data under "Documents and Settings"..." do you simply mean the contents of Cocuments and Settings[username]My Documents?

For clarity, given the size of the operation, please confirm that you are using the full blown Windows Server 2003 and not Windows Small Business Server 2003 (which has Exchange Server integrated into it).

HTH
    Gre

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What I did was first create a new profile and then go under cocuments and Settingsusername and performed a "Move" of everything (in some cases I did a copy) to the new profile.
    Then after checking the network and the shared file server information I deleted the old profile (I know it was a major no-no but I had been there 12 hours already and just plain old did not think).
    Anyway when you delete a profile the the Administrations and Users section it asks if you want to keep the old profile data, I chose "Yes".
    So I expected the data in Outlook since it was under the profile to be there but the only folders moved were "My Documents" and "Settings" and in some cases (but not all "User Data" but no others. In other words the "Hidden" folders did not move. EVEN THOUGH when I did the "Move" or "Copy" command there was a pop up stating "There are x number of hidden files do you want to move them too?" I very specifically selected "Yes".
    As a backup to my "Move" I chose the "Keep Files" when I deleted the profile and again it only kept "My Documents", "Settings" and "User Data" in some cases but nothing more.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

About the Server software, I am using the full version of Windows 2003 server not the Small Business Server.
    Don't forget though, that this issue of loosing Outlook data was on the individual PC's because the network was Peer-to-Peer. Every PC was Windows XP Pro SP-1 or SP-2.
    The profile data was not (and actually is still not) on the server.
    They use a third part for the mail server that is located off site, and no data is stored. It is a simple POP3 setup.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

As you probably realise, the full path to the PST file is Cocuments and Settings[username]Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook.

Presumably, you have "unhidden" all the hidden folders by now - so you have been able to do a full "eyeball" check with Windows Explorer. Personally, my inclination is to unhide all such folders as a matter of routine - as a double check on what I think I may have done. "Unhiding" does not affect any oither user on the machine.

Mircrosft's definition of "data" does appear strange. Definitions have been a "feature" of Microsoft issues, however, for some years.

Not that it's much consolation, but, with the size of today's hard disks, deletions tend to be things that can be put off until you're 150% certain that the data is obsolete.

If there is still no trace of the folders, I suggest that someone shells out for a Hard Disk Recovery tool ASAP - before the data gets fully overwritten. You may still be able to rescue a fair number of the PSTs.

HTH
    Gre

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

This is somewhat confusing. Can you give the steps you followed for one user in detail?

Joe
    Joe