Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reformatting pirate XP Pro with legit XP Pro (5.1.2600.0 XP Pro SP1)

Hello. I have bought a computer from an auction and believe that a pirated version of XP Pro is installed on it - even if I am mistaken, I want to get rid of the version that's currently installed and start afresh with what I know to be genuine. I have a legitimate vol licensed XP Pro CD, and want to get rid of the dodgy OS and install this legit vol licensed one.

I have done a reformat once before, but it is a long time ago and was a simpler matter of installing my copy of XP Home that came with a new computer bundle I bought.

Does anyone have any advice on how I go about wiping the hard drive and getting rid of the dodgy XP Pro version currently installed, then installing my vol licensed version, please? I do not have the pirate - or let's say dodgy - CD, and do not know the reg key number they used. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Ross

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reformatting pirate XP Pro with legit XP Pro (

If it isn't set to do so already, you should go into the computer's BIOS and set it to boot first from the CD drive, then hard drive and/or floppy drive. Having done that, you should be able to boot the computer from YOUR Windows XP CD and choose an installation option to format the drive and start fresh. I usually do my prep work like this by using a Win98 boot floppy, so I don't remember what the XP CD's initial menu looks like, but you should be able to navigate it alright.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks bigaldoc. Don't suppose you can point me towards a good link that describes clearly, step by step, the reformatting process in my situation?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Here's one that has been mentioned here in The Lounge: http://theeldergeek.com/xp_pro_install_-_graphic.htm

If you search this forum I think there are other "installation tutorial" links but I didn't want to overload you. If you don't feel comfortable with the one above, come on back.