Thanks

PC-Cillin Internet Security

Am I right? Is this AV, firewall, phish, and spyware control all in one? 'Cause if so, and it *says* it is, then I'm buying. 'It's the fastest and smoothest of the programs in this genre I have ever used.

How come I never saw it before I wonder...

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PC-Cillin Internet Security

Probably 'cause you didn't search The Lounge. I just did a search on "cillin" and got a couple of hundred hits. Seriously, it is usually mentioned here along with the others, but sometimes the freebies like Avg take most of the attention. As I mentioned in a recent post, I'm not yet on the 2005 version, so I can't attest to the "strength" of the features other than AV but I'm sure I'll be finding out in a month or two when it comes time for my renewal.

Thanks

Al:

Well I'd known about PC-Cillin for some time, but I guess I just got numbed to the whole deal and never tried it out seriously, not once I had a "solution" in that arena. But since of late I had started having trouble with my Zone Alarm again, and then this latest deal with the NAV, I started looking around again...

Hmmm, I wonder if they need any testimonials...?

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

Al:

Ya know what? I've been trying all night to contact these guys, (sales@...) and it keps retuning as undeliverable...

I was asking them if the Outlook Add-in that comes with the eval download is actually a separate product (cost?) or already included.

How do these guys make money if their server is down?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that the evaluation download is the same as the product. Would be rather sneaky to include extra cost add-ins in an evaluation download!

What address are you trying without success?

Finally, please be aware that the firewall in earlier versions of PC-cillin was not as full-featured as something like Sygate or Outpost Pro or ZoneAlarm. I'll be interested to hear what you see in the latest version. Naturally, if you want to mix and match products, you will need to turn OFF the PC-cillin firewall (and probably restart Windows) before enabling the other product.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have an answer to either of your questions, Chuck. I too sent a message to Sales@trendmicro.com and the message was returned within a minute or two as undeliverable with no explanation other than that it was an automatic response and that delivery had failed. I think I'll next try an email to Support instead and see what that yields. Keep after 'em.

Thanks

Jefferson:

I was trying sales and info, both '@trendmicro.com, and both came back.

I know very little for comparatives between firewalls, I just seem to see:

A lot less 'interference with the TM product and my apps. The one thing that I wonder about is there seems to be no "Allow?" Dialogs.. So everything is going in / out without checking? The tray icon shows ability for stopping all inet traffic, so... ?

But, with the full thing loaded (default), I can tell you that the old puter runs a heck of a lot smoother than it has with either ZA or Sygate, and as far as the AV goes, I had several problems with NAV, (no answer yet from tech there), and even it's smoother than AVG as well.

BUT... As said above, I am no kind of knowledgeable above basic, so I'm not sure...

Inputs would be more than appreciated...

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Thanks

Chuck,

Try <font color=yellow>pc-cillin@support.trendmicro.com</font color=yellow> . This is email NOT a link.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Bob:

I finally received a response... I'm not sure which of the myriad of requests it was in response to, but I'm happy...

The response came with a return address of: pc-cillin@support.trendmicro.com.

Thanks.

Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well I'm glad YOU got a response. A short time after my last post yesterday, I also sent a message to the same "support" address recommended by Bob and at least it didn't bounce. In the message I told them about the problem with the other email addresses and asked them to respond, but nothing yet.

Thanks

To Chuck & Al,

Yes, that is the email address I showed in my last post.
    Al, Be patient, you know with the holidays and all, etc, etc. Christmas parties, too much egg nog, can't type and all those other excuses.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Add to that the fact that they seem to be VERY busy with UPDATES! My copy has been updating every day and on some days, more than once. So, evidently there's a lot of dirt bag activity! Be patient, Chuck...

Thanks

Al:

It just sometimes getting frustrating...

I used ZA (own the Pro) for years, now it seems that the recent updates are causing software conflicts... I tried (and own) Norton SystemWorks - the AV, as we know, is rated pretty highly, but it sure seemed to use a lot of resources, but I do like the Ghost utilities -- I tried AVG, but, referencing your statement, they *never* (in three weeks) upgraded their virus info...

All the dude wants to do is find a solution, and move on...

I do (initially) like Trend Micro, although I'm not sure whether to use the "built in" AV, or the Outlook plug-in, because although convenient, it seems to screw with my toolbars, and not be too complacent. In addition, it flagged an e-mail as a problem, and I cannot locate the means for telling it "No, this one is OK"....

Where did you say I can buy this stuff "patience"? Is it anywhere on the same aisle as "frustration"?

Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 889 Posts

Chuck,

Here's a few things to ponder:
    ZA problems - because of the complexity of PCs and software environments any A/V or firewall product may have difficulties with a new release - see the MS XP newsgroups right after SP-2 was released. Maybe you should adopt a policy of observing product support forums before upgrading to a new release. Zonelabs had the problem with 5.x fixed rather quickly. Symantec had a problem with SP-2 also which was resolved quickly.

AVG signature updates - for which three week time period? Maybe that is not a bad thing. Depends on how good their heuristic detection is. McAfee was the company that got everyone thinking that virus signatures and heuristics were the way to go and that the signatures had to be updated on an ever more frequent basis. That is pretty much BS especially for those who don't just download willy nilly from P2P networks and who are careful with e-mail attachments. If you take a look at the descriptions of virii at various security vendors you'll see that the vast majority are theoretical (i.e. there has never been an instance in the 'wild').

If you like TrendMicro stick with it. If it does something to your system you don't like check their product support forums. There might be a solution. Make a thorough search of all configuration options.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Joe:

Yea, I spose I need to just 'calm down'...

Chuck