Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Monitor problem and diagnosis

Problem is with a Dell (about two years old) driving a touch-screen monitor using Intel Extreme graphics (which I believe is on the motherboard). XP Pro SP1, though this is irrelevant. Machine is on a small network, which is not internet connected. No software changes for ages.

The monitor can have just two resolutions, 800 x 600 (which is the normal one wanted) and 1024 x 768, four possible screen refresh rates, and two colour depths.

"Suddenly" the 800 x 600 resolution displays jagged lines through characters/graphics (the Windows startup logo as well), which cannot be got rid of by changing any of the parameters mentioned above. The text and graphics are readable, but distorted. Using the 1024 x 768 resolution displays perfectly!

All the usual "bright ideas" about changing drivers, etc, aren't applicable because of the "nothing's been touched" nature of the environment. It wasn't possible to do this at the time, but today I hope someone will be trying another, working perfectly, touch-screen monitor instead of the problematic one. But my theory is that the graphics card/controller/feature on the motherboard is not working correctly, which means a new motherboard, which probably means it would be cheaper to replace the PC entirely!

Any agreement/disagreement? Have I missed anything?

Thanks!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Re: Monitor problem and diagnosis

I think you've covered most of the bases John, but there is one more thing you might want to look at. Most touch screens have their own calibration software. The main use for this software is to center the screen and to correct mouse pointer (finger) drift. It might be worth trying this at the 800 x 600 resolution.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 889 Posts

John,

Just be sure to check the warranty. Here in the US many folks purchase a two, three or four year warranty (especially for a small business).

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If this system has not been touched in a couple years, what's the chances it is full of dust, dirt and crud? I think I would pop the case and clean it out real good. Would not hurt to do that anyway. If there was a lot of dirt buildup around any connectors (RAM or Video) I would reseat them to ensure good conduct.

Of course swapping monitors, even with a standard monitor might help. If it still does it with a standard CRT or LCD monitor, you know it's something in the PC.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If all other hints fail, why not acquire a new video card and disable the on-board video? Much less expensive than a new motherboard.

Cheers, Bob
    Regards,
    Bob

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for preceding messages!

I actually had to go round myself this lunchtime to swap monitors, and to my surprise the known working monitor produced correct results on the original Dell PC. So the problem is with the original monitor at 800x600 resolution only. Since it is less than a year old (the Dell is much older!), I hope they can get a fixed monitor or a replacement.

Thanks again for suggestions!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...