New Lounger
    Thanks

Index and Tables

I've only used the "Table of contents" and "Index" features in Word twice on large files and both times it has corrupted the file in some way so that the table no longer works, page numbers don't print properly in the header, etc. When I called Microsof for help they even said that the file had "somehow become corrupted and my have to do with my background page pagination." (huh??)

I've been afraid to use these features for a while but my job requires that I work with large documents that index and TOC's would be very helpful. Do you know what could be causing errors in a file when I use TOC or indexes? Does it have something to do with page pagination and how do I get around it?

Secondly, is there an easy way to automark the text formatted in heading styles to be used in the Index? I don't find marking each index entry very easy to use. I'm probably not using the feature to it's greatest advantage. If you can point me to a good article on the web telling me how to get the most out of the index feature I'd greatly appreciate it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Index and Tables

> is there an easy way to automark the text formatted

Sure. It's called "Indxr" and it's on my web site.

How large is large?

My fast method crashes somewhere between an 8MB and a 16MB file of pure text (no fields, no graphics etc). My slow method runs over 16MB files.

It's written and runs with Word97SR2.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the link to your Word tools. That hopefully will help with my home files, however, in a large corporate office our IT guys hardly ever budge and allow any third party downloads from the internet. Company policy is not to install software without express permission and they'd definately have problems with a program that specifically uses word macros (a known security hole in Word). But, I'll trust the source for my home use because of Woody's newsletters. Thanks again!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Well, tell your corporate IT guys to read the March 2001 PCW(UK issue) page 250.

MSoft Word doesn't do concordance tables, so if you want to save anyone the effort of marking {XE} you're going to have to use a 3rd party. Either you make use of someone else's efforts or you write your own macro code to do it.

I know that it's not your view, but so disappointing to see such a blinkered approach to the use of computers.

Especially the knee-jerk reaction to macros.

Even more especially given the announced loop-hole with RTF files in this week's "Woody's Office Tips - Word 972000 Security Alert.txt"

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for the answers and the suggestions. Being a lowly corporate monkey, I'll probably suddenly experience a rash of computer problems and lock ups if I complain too loudly to the all mightly IT God's in control of the network. You've been very helpful. Thanks!

Lounger
    Thanks

Baddogxxx,

As an ex IT-guy and Network Manager, it grieves me so to see that there are so many IT folks out there who forget they are there to provide "support to the users". I was always aware of this great responsibility, often to the detriment of my relationship with the "head-shed", but always tried to provide the best support to my users AND maintain my network in a healthy condition. Note the order of those statements. After all, the users are using the tools to do a real job, we are only there to "oil the shovels".

I'm aware that this response doesn't help your problem, but be aware that some of us IT folks do care.