3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

vCard vs. Outlook contact (???)

What is the difference between a vCard and an Outlook contact? I understand that vCards are an Internet standard, but is that the only difference? Since it's an Internet standard I suppose it means that you could send a vCard to anyone and regardless of their PIM software they would be able to access it, unlike an Outlook contact. Does that sound right?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: vCard vs. Outlook contact (???)

I'm not certain that vCards are importable to all PIM software, and as you can see from <!post=this thread,421151>this thread<!/post>, vCard fields are a subset of Contact fields. <!post=This thread,272006>This thread<!/post>, also indicates that you will have problems exporting to vCards if you misuse a field.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's some great info. I have this guy that wants to know the difference between the two, vCard vs. Outlook contact. He is not PC savvy at all so I don't kow if he'll want to go further with this. My thinking is this - If he wants to give someone his contact info he can send them his personal contact file from his Contacts folder in Outlook if they use the same program and it will work fine. If they do not use Outlook he should send them a vCard. Does that sound right? Or maybe he should just always send a vCard, since Outlook will accept that info, too?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I'd send the vCard with instructions how to use it and then see if the recipient responds that they can't use it in their PIM. <!post=Here,415080>Here<!/post> is some discussion on how to import a vCard attachment for those instructions.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

When Outlook users from outside our office send me a contact record dragged into an e-mail, I get a useless blank message attachment. If you are sending over the Internet, the extra step of generating a vCard attachment would avoid this problem.