New Lounger
    Thanks

permissions dissappear on compact (access 2000, sp3)

I have a database that I repair and compact daily. After that, a co-worker copies the database to his machine and then runs a back up program. My problem is that recently, I noticed that every time I did a repair and compact, I lost some permissions on the database file. The permissions had originally been set to allow admin, system, myself and this one co-worker (Robert) to have full rights to the file - after the repair and compact Robert lost all permissions, and could no longer copy the file to his computer. ( I am referring to windows permissions, not to access table- level permissions). Has anyone ever seen this before?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: permissions dissappear on compact (access 2000, sp3)

I suspect you need to check the *folder* permissions. When you compact the database, you create a new copy of it, and it sounds like the folder permissions might be interfering with the file permissions. See if something has been changed on the network recently.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

folder permissions are set to allow everybody full permissions. I will try adding robert separately and see if that helps, although 'allow inheritable permissions...' is turned off.
    Thanx.

New Lounger
    Thanks

That did not help. any other suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you setting permissions on the database file? I don't think that will work. Everybody who needs to be able to use the database should have modify permissions (read/write/create/delete) on the folder containing the database, and you shouldn't set permissions on the database file. When you compact and repair a database, Access creates a new database, deletes the original one and renames the new one. So permissions set for the original file will be lost if Access doesn't copy them to the new one.