5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update crashed by firewall

I was trying to use Windows Update on my XP-SP2 machine and it refused to work, citing an obscure error code. A little searching found references to firewall software preventing WU from running. I use Sygate Personal Firewall but during the update attempt it did not identify any program trying to access the internet, nor any program trying to get through the firewall to my computer. When I did disable the firewall I was able to run WU successfully, but that's something I'm loathe to do unless absolutely necessary. Any ideas, such as a custom rule to allow WU?

Thanks

Re: Windows Update crashed by firewall

Does Sygate regulate downloading of ActiveX controls? The WindowsUpdate recently went from version 4 to version 5, which required a new control to be installed. After that, it should work mostly as it did before, hopefully without firewall problems.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think I found the culprit. I had 'Generic Host Process for Win32 Services' set to 'Ask' instead of giving it full permission to access the internet. Tried doing Windows Update and even though GHP was set to ask it never did and the update hung. After setting GHP to 'Allow' the update went through without effort. That Sygate never prompted or reported the blocked traffic is a little annoying. I typically block generic-type processes and wait to see if it interferes with what I want to do, but when the firewall doesn't prompt me, I can't know if it is causing the interference.

Now why can't Microsoft come up with something that divulges more information than 'Generic Host Process'? My Task Manager is showing six instances of 'svchost.exe' running but without making any information available about what app called them. A simple 'More info' added to the right-click context menu, is that asking too much?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

David,

FWIW, you can use Process Explorer from Sysinternals and see all sorts of information about what is loaded on your system. Just right click an svchost entry and select properties to see a lot of stuff.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.