New Lounger

Database Corruption (Access 2000 sp3)

I have a single back end database that holds most of my data, and about 7 client computers accessing it via individual front ends. Generally, almost all front ends are being used (with open forms, reports and/or queries) at all times. Every so often (too often lately,) someone gets an error when attempting to open their front end: "unrecognized database format networkBfoldernew_be.mdb". They are unable to connect, anyone else connected can continue to work, but as soon as all forms/queries/reports are closed on a front end, that front end can no longer connect - it gets the same error. When I open the back end, I get a message "the database networkBfoldernew_be.mdb needs to be repaired or isn't a database file...." and something about someone may have quit unexpectedly. Repairing and compacting usually cures it, but it is very annoying. Any ideas about what may be causing this error?

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Database Corruption (Access 2000 sp3)

It sounds like a flaky network connection somewhere. Access is extremely sensitive to network hiccups - if they occur while data are being written to a table, corruption may well occur. We had similar problems with one of my databases at work some time ago; although the hardware guys tried to blame the database design, in the end it turned out to be one bad network segment.