3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

W2K-Network - undo?

I bought a used computer running Windows 2000, and it has a Network setup.
    My use is as a hobby (retirement) computer, used by one person, me, in a home, not an office.
    I'm wondering if there's a way to undo this network setup? It's a pain in the butt - it stops me from doing some tasks, and
    it would be nice to have it set up as a single, home-used computer. Obviously, it's not easy, or I'm sure all the employees
    on a network would be doing nasty things to their machines, eh?
    Any help would be apprecitated, and remember, I'm not a geeky dude, I'm an old semi-dummy, OK? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: W2K-Network - undo?

Can you be a bit more specific about what you mean by "it has a Network setup." If you mean that it is configured as a member of a domain then you change this from Control Panel > Network Identification > Properties > choose "member of a workgroup".

You need to have local administrative access to make this change, this means either knowing the Administrator password or having a user account which is a member of the Administrators group.

(All above from memory as I don't have a W2K system at home).

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Of course, if you just got it, you could always re-install W2K clean and start over. You did get a W2K disk with it, didn't you?

Thanks

Had this same situation with my son's notebook this past summer. He was on a domain at his secondary school, and of course when the school term ended, all of the school's networking information, policies, restrictions, etc. were not removed. I attempted to "fine tune" the machine before he left for university this fall, but there were so many things that I could not access (didn't have the school's administrator ID or password) that I simply reformatted and started from scratch. This may be the only way to rid the machine of everything. Hopefully, as Al mentioned, the computer came with a W2K disk.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies - As you may have guessed, the used machine I bought, then had it "wiped and reloaded" ended up with Win 2000 in it. And, I didn't get the disk that it started out with, so I asked the question. Now, I'm thinking of buying the CD,
    but can't find out if it comes for "simple home use", or is bundled with the Network (Professional) stuff that I do not need.
    Even the Microsoft website can't come up with a simple answer to : "How much does it cost, and is there a "HOME" version?
    If anyone knows, I would appreciate learning. I will be shopping soon, but haven't had a chance just yet.
    Again, thanks for the help.

Thanks

This site will give you information on the different versions of Win2K. There is no "home" version as such. As far as prices, a Google for "buy Windows 2000" or "Windows 2000 prices" will again give you lots to choose from. If your system has the necessary resources (see Windows XP System Requirements ), I would recommend that you purchase Windows XP (either Home or Professional) and start fresh.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions