Star Lounger
    Thanks

ME and Personal Web Server

I am running Windows 98, but plan to get a new computer with ME. I understand that Microsoft has protected users from the hazards of Personal Web Server with the release of Windows ME. I think I would need ME instead of 2000 to get better device support and DOS support. What are people doing to add a personal web server to ME, so that they can do web development using tools such as ColdFusion Express? Install Apache? What other options do I have?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Judy M

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ME and Personal Web Server

Judy,

So far it's running fine. I bought a Dell P3 with ME loaded. I only installed the PWS application from the FP 98 cd. After loading FrontPage 2000 I installed the latest server extensions. I've not encountered any problems. You can install the PWS from the NT pack (MS Internet Services). However, I have not used that. Good luck!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There is a detailed explanation of how to load PWS reom the NT4.0 service pack in the June (#177) issue of PC Plus. Not simple and could cause problems if you do it wrong. If you can't get a copy, I can post the details - but don't have time right now. Sorry!
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the suggestions. I do not have FrontPage, and using the NT PWS sounds daunting. Does anyone know if I can use the Personal Web Server that ships with Windows 98? I have that one on my Win98 disk.

Thanks again for informed advice!

Judy M