New Lounger
    Thanks

'ghosts' on monitor

At work I'm using a Gateway (sorry, don't know the model) - monitors are showing 'ghost' images of open windows. I've tried two crt monitors and a brand new flat panel that I tested at home - all work fine on any other computer - so the problem is with my system. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'ghosts' on monitor

Only two possible causes of this symptom that I can think of are a faulty video card, or a faulty cable between the video card and the monitor.

When you tried different monitors did you use the same cable each time? If so then try using a different cable and see if that fixes it - cables are cheaper than Video cards.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

I used the same cable with the crts, but used the cable that came with the new flat screen, so guess that's not the problem. I don't think there's any other electrical wiring nearby that could be interferring. I thought the card might be the problem. If so, it might just be a good thing to buy a new low-cost system. I'd most likely end with more memory and speed that what I have now. I'm pretty sure the video card in this system is integrated.....

Thanks for the speedy response.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Check for any magnetic copy holders around. I've witnessed very funny things on CRTs when these are within a few feet. I can't speak for LCDs however.
    Christopher Baldrey