Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leave record (MS Excel 2000)

Hi,

I would like to keep a record of the annual leave applied for and sanctioned and also annual leave availed by my staff and this should be shown in an excel sheet on monthly basis. This will help me in checking the leave over lap of the staff and better leave management of the staff. To this I would also like to add the sick leave record. As half day ie AM or PM leave can also be availed I would like this feature also in the worksheet. Finally the Worksheet summary should be able to give me the leave due to an employee, leave sanctioned, leave availed for the Annual leave and leave due and leave availed for the sick leave of each employee. I am sure someone must have made this excel programme (Lotus Organiser had something close to this) as my requirements are quite ordinary. As I am looking for a free software / programme can somebody help me to locate the software/programme.
    Merry Xmas and and Happy New Year to all the Gurus.
    Cheers

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Leave record (MS Excel 2000)

Perhaps the Employee absence schedule or Employee absence tracker template from Microsoft can be adapted to your needs.

Have you tried a Google search?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

I have amended one of the above-proposed files to suit my requirement. However, I require help to solve one problem. In the monthly chart each box represents half days leave viz AM or PM. The user should only shade the leave period, say Red for Annual leave and Yellow for Sick leave and this should automatically get reflected in Summary sheet. I am aware of the sum function for numerals across a range of sheets but I do not know how the excel can read a color in the box and convert same to numeral for the summary sheet. Can you pls help me to find a solution to this problem.
    Rgds
    Novicexcelite

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Excel does not have built-in functions to count cells by color. You can find custeom functions on Functions For Working With Cell Colors on Chip Pearson's site.

In the attached workbook, I have used this function in a few cells in the summary sheet (D10:E11 only) as an example.

Note 1: formulas using the CountByColor function will only be updated when the worksheet is recalculated. If necessary, press F9 to recalculate.
    Note 2: in the default color scheme, red = 3 and yellow = 6.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Thanks for the help. there seems to be sum bug. In your attached file if I add another half day leave in the month of January the result is 11 days and not 10.5 days. Can u reslove this issue also.
    Regds
    Novicexcelite

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is that the columns are too narrow to display 10.5, so the displayed value is rounded. If you make the columns slightly wider, you will see that the cell actually contains 10.5.

Thanks

Another option to avoid the color function issue altogether:
    Have the employess just enter a something into the cell (eg "X" or even a space), then you could then just use the counta function to count the non-blanks in each of the rows. It wouldn't matter what they enter.

If you wanted them colored, you could add cond formatting in the month charts to check for it being non-blank and whether col C had an A or an S to indicate the color

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the tip. i should have seen it myself. Now i am attaching the file again would like to know how to remove the zeroes in the summary sheet. Whenever the person avails leave and it is reflected in the monthly chart, the summary sheet will indicate the amount and in the appropriate background colour. However, when the person does not take leave I do not want the zero to show up as this unnecessarily clutters the summary sheet.

As regards the second gurus tip regarding not using colours altogether, i am not for it as I want the different leave in distinct colours. Anyway thanks for the tip.

Rgds
    Novicexcelite

Thanks

In tools- options - view(tab) uncheck "Zero values"
    to remove display of all zero values from the book

Or just in this range, select the range and format - cells - custom
    0.0;-0.0;""

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1. You can set the number format for the cells to a custom format that hides zero values, for example <code>General;;</code>
    (this format will hide negative values too).

2. Steve didn't suggest NOT using colors at all, but to let the user enter an "x" or something like that, and using conditional formatting to change the background color of the cells according to the type of leave. The advantages are
    - Data entry is much simpler
    - Your workbook does not need to contain VBA code.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for your tip. Now I have got the product that I wanted. However, I wonder why the file at the time of opening gives a popup for a macro whereas we have not recorded any macro but only Formulas and conditional formatting.
    Rgds
    Novicexcelite

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does your template/workbook still contain the custom function CountByColor? That would account for the macro warning.

Thanks

In addition to Hans' suggestion about the macro code, even if you have deleted the code itself, the module must also be removed (right-click - remove module). Just having a module (even an empty module) will trigger the macro warning.

Steve

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans & Steve,

Understood the reason for the macro confirmation as the formula countbycolour is being used in the workbook. Your suggestion about entering "A" for annual leave and "s" for sick leave and then changing the colour by conditin formatting is definitely a good one. But how does one do condition formatting in this case. Pls help
    Rgds
    Novicexcelite

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Select a range of cells to be formatted, for example 'Jan 2005'!H6:Q49
    Select Format | Conditional Formatting...
    Set "Cell Value Is", "Equal To", A.
    Click Format...
    Activate the Patterns tab.
    Click on red, then OK.
    Click Add>>.
    Set "Cell Value Is", "Equal To", S.
    Click Format...
    Activate the Patterns tab.
    Click on yellow, then OK.
    Click OK again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast