4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Duplicate Memo Fields

I have a large database (4000 records). The main data is stored in a memo field. Due to a mistake I made, there are about 50 records in the database where there are pairs of identical records. Other than manually examining all the records, is there an easier way to spots the dups?

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Duplicate Memo Fields

4000 records is actually a very modest database, unless you left out a few zeroes. You've run into one of the reasons not to use memo fields to hold your data--you can't index them, which means you can't make them unique.

You could use a query and the Left$() function to pull the leftmost 255 characters from each record's memo field into a calculated expression, then save that query and use the wizard to create a Find Duplicates query based on it. It wouldn't be perfect, but it might help.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Duplicate Memo Fields

Size is, I guess, relative. This is a personal database that no one uses but me so, at least to me anyway, 4,000 is large. To a large company, 4,000 would be tiny.

Anyway, I started with this solution and I can see that it is going to work. However, I did not install the Find Dup wizard so I have to dig up my CD before I can finish.

Anyway, like I said, it is going to work. Thanks.

Ronny
    Ronny Richardson