Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Modifying a Word 6.0 template (2000 sp-3/ 98SE)

I have an old version of the Microsoft Word Help Authoring Template (WHAT6) that I'd like to modify for Word 2000. This was never updated by MS, I suspect because they wanted to phase out Winhelp in favour of HTMLHelp. When I open this template, Word indicates that some macros won't work, presumably because they're written in Wordbasic. It then offers to "convert" them for me.

What I'd like to do is to peruse the originals and make sure the conversion preserves the functionality of the macros. If so, all is well. If not, I might have to try some rewrites from scratch. Any ideas on this (generally) would be appreciated. Template in attachment.

Alan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modifying a Word 6.0 template (2000 sp-3/ 98SE)

I don't think it is possible to see the original macro text in Word 97 or higher. Word HAS to do some kind of conversion, since many of the WordBasic instructions are not valid in Word VBA. However, in most cases the conversion consists only of prefixing those instructions with WordBasic. - the WordBasic object was added to VBA for compatibility. So you should be able to get a pretty good idea of what the original looked like.
    If you want to see the pristine macro text, you'd have to find a PC with Word 95 (or Word 6, but that is a Windows 3.x app) installed, or find the complete macro text on the web.
    There are also free WinHelp authoring tools for Word 97 and up, e.g. BorHelp.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modifying a Word 6.0 template (2000 sp-3/ 98SE)

Thanks Hans. I'll try to go through the converted macros to determine what (if anything) has really been affected by the conversion. I actually use Borhelp. It's quite good for what it is, but it lacks all the builtin styles of the WHAT template, as well as some other features. As I said, I think MS abandoned it all in favour of HTMLHelp.

Alan