New Lounger
    Thanks

Error! Not a valid embedded object (Word 2003)

On one and only one of my computers, Word documents bearing pasted in drawings (from specialty chemistry software called "ChemDraw") show the drawings as an empty box with a small red "X" in the upper left hand corner. This phenomenon happens on only one computer. If I view the same files on other computers loaded with the same software, the drawings appear and print fine. Using the problematic computer, if I try to cut and then repaste the pictures into the Word document, I get the warning "Error! Not a valid embedded object". I've reinstalled "ChemDraw" and reinstalled "Word" on the problematic computer and checked out this problem with both virus protection and the firewall turned off, all to no avail. I use Windows XP Pro/SP2 on all computers and have used "ChemDraw" with Microsoft Word for 15 years without problems.

Any thoughts on how to fix the problem will be much appreciated.

Lanny S. Liebeskind

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error! Not a valid embedded object (Word 2003)

Does this computer use Norton Anti Virus (or Norton SystemWorks)? If so, try turning off the Office plug-in to see if that helps. As long as you keep Norton Anti Virus itself running, you don't compromise security, and the Office plug-in is known to cause all kinds of problems. See How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in for details on disabling the plug-in.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thanks for the reply. The computer does use Norton SystemWorks but not the included version of Norton AV. Rather, I'm using an enterprise version of Norton AV. The enterprise version does not appear to have a setting to turn off the Office plug-in,, so I tested the problem with AV completely off. The problem remained. In fact, Norton is running on my other computers where the problem does not appear.

Regards,

Lanny

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since you already reinstalled both ChemDraw and Word, I'm afraid I can't offer any more suggestions (unless you want to reinstall the entire PC from scratch). Sorry.

Thanks

It's a shot in the dark, but is it possible that "problem" instance of Word does not have the appropriate graphics filters installed? This article describes the graphics file types that Word can use.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions