New Lounger
    Thanks

Access Macros (2000)

I have a potential temp job offer, and it involves writing macros in Access. I am very familiar with VBA while writing macros in Excel, but I have no experience writing them in Access. Is there a big difference? In other words, am I in for a big learning curve if I take this job? Thanks for any input!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Macros (2000)

There is a difference in Access between macros and VBA code, so you should ask whether they really mean macros in the Access sense.

Macros are created in a special window, in which you select instructions from a dropdown list instead of writing code. The set of macro instructions is limited, and the fixed format window makes maintenance difficult.

VBA code (organized in modules, as in Excel) is much more powerful and flexible, and easier to maintain. The language is the same as VBA in Word, Excel etc. The hard part, as in each application, is becoming familiar with the application-specific object model. For someone used to Word VBA, Excel VBA seems alien, and for someone used to Excel VBA, Access VBA will take getting used to. You need to be familiar with the way Access works. Moreover, apart from the Access object model, programming beyond the basic level is likely to involve one of the data object models, DAO or ADO (or both), and knowledge of SQL, the query language used by Access.

If this is only a one-time temp job, I don't think it would be worth the effort to learn all this. It's different if you intend to branch out into Access for a longer period of time.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Macros (2000)

Thanks Hans. That is just what I needed...