New Lounger
    Thanks

Graphics card recommendation for 1600x1200 LCD

Hello all!

I'm about to receive a Christmas gift of a new Dell 2001FP 20" LCD Monitor. Considering that it is recommended to run LCDs at their native resolution, I think I'll be needing a new graphics card, as my old GeForce 2 MX200 is unlikely to be up to the task.

This is where I'd appreciate your advice, considering that the rest of my PC is an Athlon 1.3GHz with 255Mb of RAM, is it worth my while upgrading the grahcs card on this machine, or would I be better off buying a new PC entirely?

Budgets will not stretch to a new PC until next Christmas at the earliest, so would it be worth my while investing in a budget priced card in the meantime? If so what budget card will acceptably run 1600x1200 for work. Any games performance would be a bonus but not essential, half life 2 and Doom3 can wait for the new PC next Christmas.

Thanks in advance,

John.

Thanks

Re: Graphics card recommendation for 1600x1200 LCD

Well, if the budget does not allow a new PC for at least a year, then there doesn't seem to be an alternative if you want to use your new monitor. The GeForce 6600GT is reasonably priced (approx. $250) and is PC World's "Best Buy" pick among the budget boards. It is a PCI board and will support 1600 X01200. See this report .
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Rebel.

It is a good recommendation, but unfortunately $250 is more than I'm prepared to pay for a "one year card", especially considering that I'm only planning to spend about $1200 on the new PC.

I should have specified that I meant < $160. Just to be clear, game performance is not an issue here as I'm only an occasional gamer, all I really want for the year is a cheap card that will produce acceptable 2D work performance at 1600x1200. I reckon I can game at 800x600 with a 1600x1200 and not suffer too much from interpolation, but my current card will not do 1600x1200 at all.

Thanks again,

John

Thanks

John,

I think your present card WILL run at that resolution, providing your monitor will handle it. ( which your new one will do ) I did notice a claim that it ( the video card ) will run at 1920x1440, AGAIN providing the monitor will also.

It only has 64MB of video memory so it does lag behind there, but I think you should be OK until you can upgrade.
    If you google around, there are sites that offer G4 or FX cards with 128 MB memory for under $100.00 US. NVidia & ATI being the most popular.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Check out PriceWatch and look for Nvidia 4200/4400/4600 series cards - they're the older crop, but more than sufficient for your stated needs. With the most recent drivers they should easily support 1600x1200, and most have a DVI output to boot.
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>It is a PCI board<hr>

One thing to mention here - it's actually PCI-Express, not PCI. PCI-Express slots are relatively new and are a replacement to the slower AGP interface. PCI-Express cards are not compatible with PCI slots.

Check your motherboard for the type of video card it supports - AGP or PCI-Express - before purchasing.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark!

It is an AGP 4x board.

John.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Bob.

I didn't realise that it would. Well worth checking out! At the moment it does not offer the option in the windows display properties -> settings dialog, but in the Nvidia driver tool there is an option to expand it to 1600x1200. When I tried it with my current monitor all I got was an out of synch message on the screen. I'll try it when the new monitor arrives next week.

This would be the ideal solution and saves my $$$ for next year, but I have one concern. I've never had an LCD before, so how will low refresh rates (I'm assuming I'll get low refresh rates with the Geforce 2 stretching to do 1600x1200) affect LCD screens. Will it be unusable at this resolution?

Thanks again,

John.

New Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Check out PriceWatch and look for Nvidia 4200/4400/4600 series cards - they're the older crop, but more than sufficient for your stated needs. With the most recent drivers they should easily support 1600x1200, and most have a DVI output to boot. <hr>

Wow! Pricewatch is a great site! Definitely a keeper!

Fantasitc value in those cards and some even have DVI out for less than $50. Now that would definitely get me out for a year for a small investment!

Thanks again,

John.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>so how will low refresh rates (I'm assuming I'll get low refresh rates with the Geforce 2 stretching to do 1600x1200) affect LCD screens. Will it be unusable at this resolution?<hr>
    Aren't you lucky...refresh rates are mostly irrelevant with LCD displays, since they don't flicker. Start at 60Hz, and work your way up to 75Hz if possible. You may even find that a lower refresh rate looks better to your eyes.
    -Mark

Thanks

Mark beat me to it regarding the refresh rates for LCD. I have mine set for 75 and it looks great. Enjoy your new screen.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!