Star Lounger
    Thanks

Personal.xls in Excel 97 SR2 (Excel 97 SR2)

(Let me qualify first of all by saying - I did not build this "system" - I'm only trying to transfer it to the new office and get it operational. And also that Excel is NOT my strong suit.) I've been tasked with moving an Excel shell worksheet and its underlying files (3000+ built using Windows 98 & Excel 97 SR1) to a new office using Excel 97 SR2 & Windows XP.

The main problem I have right now is that the new office has a different address and the old address was typed into the starting template and therefore exists in each of the 3,000+ files. Prior to the previous move I'd built a macro and placed it in the Personal.xls which overrode the previous print routine macro which is AGAIN saved in each of the 3,000+ files. This new macro reset the print area to exclude the old address and put the new address info in the header of the page. Apparently though this newer SR2 (or the Windows XP?) no longer utilizes the Personal.xls. How do I override the print macro saved in each of the individual 3,000 Excel files to print the new address?

Thanks in advance for help on this.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Personal.xls in Excel 97 SR2 (Excel 97 SR2)

Excel 97 SR2 on Windows XP still uses Personal.xls (as do Excel 2000, 2002 and 2003). If it isn't loaded on the new system, Personal.xls either hasn't been copied to the new system, or it hasn't been copied to the correct folder. I'm not sure which folder Excel 97 uses on Windows XP, but it's probably still C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeXLStart. You can also set an Alternate startup file location in the General tab of Tools | Options... and store Personal.xls there.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info Hans - I'll check this out tomorrow when I go into the new office. I sure hope it does trick! (As she says a silent prayer - pleeeease let this be the answer!)

TJ

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 97 uses exactly the same default folder on Windows XP as all the later versions of Excel: ...Documents and Settings[username]Application DataMicrosoftExcelXLSTART. (The folder that <!profile=HansV>HansV<!/profile> recommended will also work. If, however, you set up a new Personal.xls from within Excel, it will save it to the folder I mentioned. FWIW I believe that the one in Progrma Files carries over from pre-95 Windows versions.) HTH
    Gre