2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OE to Outlook import gives dupes (O2K)

I've searched the forum, but can't find anyone with exactly my question, so here goes....

I've been running both Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express on the same computer to keep my two email streams separated. I no longer need to do that, so I poked around here for instructions and gotchas, and prepared to import my OE data into Outlook.

I exported from OE and then imported into Outlook. Everything copied over smoothly and all the messages stayed in their folders. But I ended up with two of every OE message in Outlook. Since I don't want to delete half of the 4000 messages, I restored to my backed up PST.

Was I supposed to export from OE, or was that an unnecessary step? I may have exported once before, but I wasn't give a choice about where to put the exported files.

I also backed up my OE folder files before I exported. Do I need to go back to them? Does it search for every .DBX file it can find and import that? If so, I think I do have a backup copy of the folders on my drive.

Thanks!
    Bob
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OE to Outlook import gives dupes (O2K)

My experience is that the import feature in Outlook imports everything that is already there in OE. No further steps, such as also exporting from OE, are necessary. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OE to Outlook import gives dupes (O2K)

Thanks. I had two archive copies of my OE folders on my system (three total copies of each .dbx). I zipped up or deleted the extras and reran the import. This time I only got one copy of everything. I'm not sure if that's what caused my duplicates, but it worked!

Bob
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect