Thanks

Newsfeeds (MSO2K sr1-a)

Does anybody out there use Newsgator with Outlook? If so, are you using it for NNTP and RSS feeds both?

If so, how do you reply or add to something in an RSS feed? Just go to the website? Any way to do it in Outlook directly?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Newsfeeds (MSO2K sr1-a)

AFAIK RSS feeds are completely non-interactive. The only way to to interact is to post at the source website from which the RSS feeds are drawn. While it may change at some time in the future, the basis of RSS feeds is that they update you with developments at a website without your having to go there. HTH
    Gre

Thanks

unkamunka:
    So a little knowledge is dangerous...

I'm trying to get the newsgroups like Lockergnome's to work through Newsgator... it picks up the messages, but I cannot see any way to answer same without goign on the net to the particular group instead of right out of Outlook...

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Let me try to put it another way: RSS feeds are like advertisements. You cannot answer them. In order to participate directly in what they are telling you about, you have to go to the webiste which sends them. They are not the same as a newsgroup (which uses the NNTP protocol).

In any event, newsgroups don't work with Outlook. RSS (Newsgator) is completely different from NNTP (Outlook Express).
    Gre

Thanks

unkamunka:

But Newsgator DOES take NNTP feeds, and, via the NNTP plug-in, can both retrieve AND answer in feed "discussions" , that's what got me started on looking for a means for web-based, like Lockergnome...

Regards,
    Chuck

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Very sorry for not taking this on Board. Newsgator has a restricted site for non-members.) Outlook does not support NNTP and never has done. It may support NNTP in the future, but, personally, I am inclined to doubt that.

All I can suggest is that you might try looking on the Google newsgroups to see what solutions any Outlook Newsgator users have come up with. If you do find anything, please do post back and let us know.
    Gre

Super Moderator
    Thanks

On their webpage it states:
    <hr>
    Do you spend too much time trying to figure out what's new on your favorite web sites and blogs? NewsGator Online tracks it all and brings the web pages to you.
    Now you can read more and search less
    <hr>
    Looks to me that it is ONY a READER

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 02-Jan-05 16:25. 2nd edit, Now to show correct link)</P>unkamunka, Dave:

NNTP, a plug-in for Newsgator, http://www.eworldui.net/NntpPlugin.aspx , allows for answering to NNTP's...

>>This plugin was designed and built with users who follow and participate in Newsgroups frequently. With the advent of NewsGator, a Outlook Plugin, this feature was nearing the close integration with Outlook that most users desired.

In general, users would read and reply to newsgroups within Outlook Express, however many wanted this functionality within Outlook. NewsGator provided a portion of that ability, but left the posting portion untouched and open to developers to fill in the gap with custom plugins. This plugin provides that functionality that was left out, and allows for tight integration with NewsGator subscriptions to easily manage, post, and reply to newsgroups all from one application.
    Following the RFC specifications for NNTP, this plugin has evolved from a proof of concept into a fully functional plugin and extension to NewsGator. The effort continues to retrieve the "Seal of Approval" from GNKSA specification, in which most requirements are already met. The plugin has only been tested thuroughly with NewsGator 2.0, thus no support is provided for earlier versions of NewsGator.
    <<

I can see that there is as yet no similar link in for web-based newsgroups... Too bad...

Thanks though, guys.

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks

I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "web-based newsgroup."

There are usenet newsgroups, which are published using the NNTP protocol and distributed to news readers. Some web sites index these (such as Google Groups) and some let you respond (I think Microsoft has a web-based news reader site that lets you respond).

Then there are web discussion boards, viewed and published using the HTTP protocol. This site and numerous vBulletin-based sites are examples. It wouldn't surprise me if there were some sites that accepted posts using a method other than visiting the site directly in the first instance, but this would not be standardized in such a way that one tool would work for all web discussion boards.

Thanks

Dave:

Although I'm just going to have web pages load in Outlook and bypass the issue...

As noted in the prior post, it is through the NNTP plug-in that Newsgator can post directly to NNTP reads. Newsgator by itself can't do it. But the plug-in sets up the ability...

>>
    NNTP, a plug-in for Newsgator, ( http://www.eworldui.net/NntpPlugin.aspx ) , allows for answering to NNTP's...

>>This plugin was designed and built with users who follow and participate in Newsgroups frequently. With the advent of NewsGator, a Outlook Plugin, this feature was nearing the close integration with Outlook that most users desired.