2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Virus diappeared (Windows XP SP2)

My anti-virus program is Grisoft's AVG free edition. Yesterday, AVG posted a Virus Alert message on my screen, but the virus could not be healed, deleted, moved etc, saying that the operation was not available. I tried downloading the Profesional edition of AVG, thinking I could find a solution there, but after the program downloaded, it could not be saved, saying 'might be write protected, in use, etc. I emailed AVG sales for help but no response. That left a bad taste- after all, I wanted to buy. I then downloaded a different program overnight. Today when I booted up, I did not get any virus alerts, so ran the AVG virus scan, and nothing showed. Last night, I did clear my Temp Internet files. Could that have eliminated the virus? f not, anybody have any idea why the virus is gone?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Virus diappeared (Windows XP SP2)

I don't suppose you noted the name of the virus, or the path to the infected file(s)?

If neither of these is available, the best theory is the one you suggest!

John

PS See Occam's Razor !
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Virus diappeared (Windows XP SP2)

Yea, John, I'm quite sure it started with temp, though I didn't take particular note of the path at the time, which I should have done in hindsight.