Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Update Fails

Hi folks,
    Using W2kPro SP4 on a Toshiba Portege 3490CT, 256MB memory. I have Windows Automatic Update set to notify me whenever a new download is available, which it does. The download always goes smoothly, but when I try to Install the updates nothing happens and my PC hangs. I get the Welcome to the Install Process splash creen, I click Install and get the Installing dialog box with the progress bar, but nothing happens - no progress is reported, and there's no hard drive activity. If I try Ctrl-Alt-Del to check which tasks/processes are running, all that happens is that the same screens - my background wallpaper and the Auto-Update progress dialog box - are slowly re-displayed. If I let it sit there for some time, eventually the screen goes dark (presumably into hibernation) and my only recourse is a forced power-off.
    It didn't use to do this - Auto Update used to run just fine - but I'm now several Updates behind and getting nervous. Can't find anything relevant in Microsoft's KB, can't find a MS download to refresh my copy of the Auto Update Client (it's supposed to be included in W2k SP3 and higher so they don't provide it separately. Any ideas?
    Best wishes for the New Year
    Jon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Update Fails

I don't know a solution to your AutoUpdate problem, but you can visit the Windows Update site, let it search for updates for your system and install them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,015 Times in 890 Posts
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans:
    Very many thanks for your response. Allowing Windows Update to run from the Microsoft site does seem to have fixed the problem; I was trying to download and install the updates from the System Tray icon telling me that they existed. I didn't get any messages about repairing or re-installing the Update program, but it's currently working OK and I'm up to date with patches once again. Appreciate the prompt help!
    Best regards
    Jon

Lounger
    Thanks

Joe:
    Many thanks for your response. Oddly enough I had checked the Microsoft Windows Update Troubleshooter, but the page I was looking at on the Microsoft site didn't provide all the information your link does, so I'm not sure where I was in their system! Allowing Windows Update to run from the Microsoft site does seem to have fixed the problem; I was trying to download and install the updates by clicking on the System Tray icon telling me that they existed. The JSI Tip is wonderfully clear and complete, and I've bookmarked it in case I need to refer to it later. Appreciate the prompt help!
    Best regards
    Jon