Tammy

Outlook Security

I've linked Word templates to the global address list in Outlook so the dialog box is populated with user names. Problem is each time it runs I get the security warning saying "a program is trying to access the address book". Does anyone know of anyway around this? It's not trying to send emails, just populate the dialog box.

Any suggestions appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Security

I suspect you won't find an answer.
    See the draconian security measures article
    in Woody's Office for Mere Mortals #2.09 - Outlook Email Security.
    I got around the problem by formatting my hard disc and re-installing Windows2000 and all programs again but NOT the SP2 which only seems to do Microsoft a favour - not the user.
    I made a Ghost backup of my system in case something equally shocking happens again.
    I believe that the Outlook "object model guard" has certain rather illogical behaviours and the one you mention is probably one of them. For example I have two different blocks of code to automatically move data from certain emails into my access database - in one case I get the dreaded message about clicking OK to give permission but in the other case is just happens without my permission. Can't really see why one should be allowed and the other not allowed.
    It is not 100% clear at all.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by jscher2000 on 04-Oct-01 01:32.</P>MaryJ has posted about an add-in that provides back door replacement functions that do not trigger the object model guard. Search on the Outlook board.

Here's one: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=out&Number=77781>Security patch trouble (O2K SR1)</A> (it's Redemption).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm really in seventh heaven since reverting to Office SR1A. Now all my hard hours of coding function again and I can send a dozen emails in a flash.
    Bill Gates has really done it this time - the whole experience has soured me to the point that I am going to stick to Win2000 and Office 2000 and avoid XP like the ludite I have always wanted to be.
    And being a ludite is not like me at all, but this object model guard thing has cured me.
    I can just picture the silly guard strutting about the pool in his neck to knee bathing suit!