Star Lounger
    Thanks

ME/XP Wireless net

Edited by Bigaldoc to add POST tag. See the Markup Help.

I'm helping friends set up a wireless net. Please check my post under mail/servers for one of the problems (<!post=this post,439718>this post<!/post>). I'm looking for a bit of advice. There are three computers involved. The cable modem and Linksys WRT54G wireless router are connected to an eMachines 600 MHz computer with 64k (I'll upgrade, but later) of memory running ME. The daughter has a newer eMachine with XP with a Linksys USB wireless transceiver. The husband has a laptop from work with XP on it which I haven't seen yet. It's most likely a Dell. My question is, how should I build the network for file and printer sharing, etc.? The two fixed computers each have their own printers, but the husband's XP laptop will need to share into a printer when he uses it at home.

When I set up my own network, I built it on the XP machine connected to the wireless routerand then used diskettes to migrate settings to my other XP and Win 98 machines, which is really simple. Is there any reason not to do that here, even though the daughter's XP computer is not hooked to the router directly?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ME/XP Wireless net

<hr>...cable modem and Linksys WRT54G wireless router are connected to an eMachines 600 MHz computer...<hr>
    First of all, I'd suggest you FIRST get that email problem squared away and working properly before going too much further with your work to establish the home LAN. Based on the wording of that thread, it looks like her "connectivity" is up and running successfully, i.e. she can "see" the internet. So, I figure you must have the router connected properly to the cable modem, which in turn is receiving its feed from the cable network. This may be simplistic of me, but I think if the router, modem and her computer are all set for DHCP, to add the other two computers to the LAN would just mean having THEM also set for DHCP and the same workgroup name, etc. and plugging them in to the router, "wireless-ly". As far as sharing, whether drives, folders or printers, if each computer shares whatever resources wanted, the husband's laptop should be able to use the shares whenever it's plugged in to the LAN.