Star Lounger
    Thanks

inherited relationships (97)

I have some relationships in a database which protest that they are inherited when I try to delete them yet do not exist in either of the referenced databases.

It's a conventional setup, data on the server, forms and code on the local drive with the only wrinkle being that laptops switch to a local copy if the network's not available. There are six tables linked to the laptop for updating.

I've made clean copies of the data for both server and local copy and installed a bare minimum of relationships. I have the relationships which I expected from the main data, those from the 6 local tables and then another dozen in unrelated tables, all of which purport to be inherited.

I'm stuck. Does anybody have an idea or even a place to start looking?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: inherited relationships (97)

You have to set, edit and delete relationships between the tables in the backend (server) database in the backend; you can't do that in the frontend (local) database.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have set the relationships up on the data mdb file (in this case on both sever and local data). When I open the program mdb then I find the other unexpected relationships.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1. What happens if you open the Relationships window in the data database and click the Show All button in the toolbar? Do you see unexpected relationships then?

2. You write that you have a data database with both local and server data. So a third database is involved?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nothing so focuses the mind as having to succinctly explain a problem to someone else. The problem was entirely of my own making as I'd left temporary links to the very same tables open. Thanks for your help.