Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: My macros disblaed (2002 SP-2)

Modifying a macro that has been signed (either with selfcert or with a signature from one of the issueing agencies) will remove the signature since the signature can no longer be guranteed to correspond to the person that made the modification. However, the macros should only be disabled if you have macro security set to high. If macro security is set to medium, then you will have to respond to the pompt saying that the workbook contains macros when you open it, but if you say to enable the macros they should work. The only way around this is to resign the macros. I don't use 2002, so I don't know where SelfCert is located. You may have to specifically install it.
    Legare Coleman

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My macros disabled (2002 SP-2)

I have two Excel files set up to keep ledger accounts for two businesses I own. Every account (i.e., worksheet) has a formula to keep a running balance. I have two macros I use to insert a row or delete a row. I wanted to alter one of the worksheets to add two more columns for data that didn't figure into the formula. Excel automatically altered the formula to accomodate the new columns. But I have to change the macro myself. I've done this before with no problem. But now if I alter the macro for inserting rows, Excel brings up a box telling me that the signature has been removed (or something like that), and essentially my macros are disabled. I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that I reformated my harddrive and reloaded all my software last fall. My name is still listed in the Tools/Macros/Security as a trusted source. I would attempt to recertify my macros, but I can't find selfcert.exe on my computer or on the Office 2002 disk for that matter.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: My macros disabled (2002 SP-2)

As an addition to Legare's reply: the default path for Selfcert.exe in Office XP is

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice10Selfcert.exe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that I reformated my harddrive and reloaded all my software last fall.

Most certainly. Reinstalling software - or changing domains or workgroups - will result in the Operating System giving you a separate ID. The result is that you can trust any existing code, but you can't change it without "invalidating" the "old" signature. This means creating a new SelfCert certificate is part of the reinstallation drill.
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I have found selfcert.exe on the Office disk, installed it, created a certificate for myself. Went to Tools/Options/Security to add the digital signature there. The signature had an X through it and I was informed that "This CA Root certificate is not trusted. To enable trust, install this certificate in the Trusted Root Certificate Authorities Store." It took some googling, but I was able to accomplish that too. I removed my name as a trusted source, then put it back in again. I still can't modify the macro to deal with two new columns in that one worksheet. When I close the workbook I continue to get the message that the signature has been removed and none of the macros will work. I have even tried copying the macros, deleting them then pasting them back in. It still thinks I'm messing with them and removes the signature. How far back do I need to go to start all over with this template. Or is it impossible?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Did you try signing the project after making the changes to the code?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You need to |Export the new cerificate using the Security Panel and then Import it into the Trusted Root Certificate Authorities Store. Not the most intuitive/user-friendly procedure, but it does (eventually) work. HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have done that and it seems to be working now. What a lot rigmarole to have to go through. Thanks for your help

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It may seem like a lot of "rigmarole", but it is really what has to be done for the security to work. Glad you got it working.
    Legare Coleman