5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Import (2000)

I create a report in a program called Impromptu.
    I save it as Excel.
    I am trying to Import this file into Access. It is importing it until the end and it says it cannot import.
    There are only 3 fields in this spreadsheet and everything looks OK. I have created the report several times and I get the same results.
    I wish the error message could be more specific as to what the problem could be.
    I have imported other spreadsheets created from Impromtu (saved as Excel) and no problem.
    I looked at the data while importing and everything looks fine - the data looks normal.
    What would make Access not accept an Excel file?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Excel Import (2000)

The most common reason for this kind of thing is some sort of garbage data, or data that doesn't conform to the field types specified. One way to chase this sort of thing down is to save the Excel file as a CSV file and then look at it with a text editor - Word will work, but it is useful to have a hex editor that will let you look at characters that are normally hidden in Word or other text editors. Another thing would be to open the file in Excel, copy just the part that has data and paste it into a new workbook, save it and then try to import it - you might consider leaving off the last few records as a way to isolate where the problem comes from.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I saved it as a CSV file and it imported into Access. I saved it as just Excel (you can save it as Excel with format and just Excel in Impromptu) and it imported into Access. I had someone else create the report in Impromptu and save it as Excel with format and send the Excel file to me and that imported. I am not sure what the problem is but this used to be the easiet thing I had to do each month and now I wasted a whole day trying to import a very simple spreadsheet.

Thanks for your help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Why don't you post the very simple excel sheet for us all to see. And maybe the database as well.

Are you trying to import into an existing table or is it cresting a new table?