New Lounger
    Thanks

Wired and Wireless

I just expanded my one PC DSL setup to a two-PC network. I added a Linksys WRT54G router, a Linksys USB Wireless G adapter and a new Windows XP Home PC. The original PC, also running WinXP Home, is wired to the router via ethernet cable. Both XPs have SP2 installed. The new PC reports the wireless connection is working fine, and it can get on the Internet.
    However, the two computers can't see each other. One shows a wired network, the other a wireless, but ne'er the twain shall meet. What do I do next?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wired and Wireless

This sounds normal to me. I assume that by "see each other" you mean access each other's files, if you are trying to play multiplayer games or something else then please describe in more detail.

In order for the PC's to "see each other" you would need to
    <UL><LI>Set up file and printer sharing, making sure that at least one folder or printer is shared from each PC
    <LI>Configure the Windows XP SP2 firewalls on both PCs to allow the other PC to connect
    <LI>Configure both PCs to have the same workgroup name
    <LI>Create user accounts with the same username and password on both PCs
    <LI>Probably another 3 or 4 steps that I have forgotten![/list]StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. We're making progress. We have turned off the Windows firewall and configured Norton firewall to permit PCs Joyce (wireless adapter) and Dan to communicate. Now Joyce and Dan PCs can ping each other, but they can't see each other at the Windows level. When I look at View Workgroup Computers in Joyce, all I see is Joyce. When I look at View Workgroup Computers in Dan, the page is blank. Dan has a shared printer attached, but Joyce can't see it. Both computers have the workgroup name of Home. Do I need to put the wireless SSID or some other workgroup name for these two to communicate?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the two computers can ping each other then everything to do with SSID etc. is correct and you do not have a wireless network problem.

You may have a problem with windows browsing, or a problem connecting to windows resources. Try Start > Run > Dan from both Joyce and Dan and see if either of them can connect this way. If this works then the problem is with windows browsing, if it doesn't then you have a connectivity problem. Let us know which and we can give further advice.

This would be much easier if you SHARE folders from both computers. You say that Dan has a shared printer, but that Joyce can see itself. This makes little sense, unless Joyce is sharing something then neither computer should see it.

StuartR