Thread: Sister blew it!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sister blew it!

I'm posting this for my sister. She really messed up a friend's computer. Would appreciate any advice. Here is her S.O.S.:

Its me again..you know the one who knows just enough about computers to get me in a whole lot of trouble because I think I know more than I ever will...Anyway, I was trying to load Windows 98 on Judy's old computer..66MHz, and it went through everything to update the 95 and it searched even to see if there was enough memory and apparently it did because it went ahead with the installation. Well, when I went to start it, everything came up normal but then when I went to push any icons it said there was not enough memory to start the program and what is worse, the start button does NOTHING..you press it and it indents in but nothing comes up. I thought I could be clever and just reinstall Windows95 and wipe out anything she had on it..she got it from her Step Father and only had used the Juno program but that was sooooo slow that it wouldn't be worth it. I thought if I could just install the basics and Juno then Juno would work better. Now I can' t do anything with it. Not even shut down properly. I know I should just shoot it and put it out of its misery just being an old, old horse but its not mine to shoot. I pressed all kinds of buttons prior so I don't know the extent of the damage..but I sense death all around me. Is there a way to act like its a new computer and install Windows95?????? I went through trying to reinstall the registry without knowing what that is and still no luck. HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!
    Karen

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sister blew it!

Can you stand to re-format your hard drive? If so, make sure you have a bootable diskette (made as you installed Win 9x in the first place). Get to a DOS prompt and re-format the drive. This will destroy any data on that drive which is why I asked the first question.If you have irreplaceable data or apps, SAVE them somewhere else first.
    Next get into the BIOS (press F2 or DEL as the system boots) and make sure 'floppy drive seek' is selected. Re-boot with the disk in the drive. Follow the instructions and you will get CD driver support. Put your Win98 disc in and do a clean install.
    Rgds

Thanks

To add to Mel's advice above, if you need to create a fresh boot disc, check out Eileen's very useful bootdisc link <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=free&Number=30009&page=0&vi ew=expanded&sb=5>here</A>.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! I was just wondering how we were going to do this since she doesn't have a boot or startup disk and your post came through. Super! I appreciate it and will send her the link.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Mel! There is no data that needs to be saved so that is good. We'll proceed as you outlined and give it a go.

Brad

New Lounger
    Thanks

Mel,

When formatting, what should the command line read? (Any switches?)

Brad

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I remember just Format C: should do it, since you're starting from scratch. Whilst you're at it, if you have a large(ish) hard drive you want to divide up into partitions that show up as several drives, now's the time to FDISK before formatting. Come back if you need further instruction.

Rgds

New Lounger
    Thanks

She gets a message saying that the drive is compressed and to use DRVSPACE tool to format it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

We got a bootdisk from the website and started to format as Mel suggested. However, she got a message saying that the drive is compressed and to use DRVSPACE tool to format it. What to do now?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Does she really need to have a compressed drive? It slows things down considerably, and this is where your present problems stem from. How big is it in MB when uncompressed? I think you can get rid of the compression by using FDISK to repartition it (not sure, as I haven't used compression since Win 3.1) If not, use DRVSPACE to unmount the compressed bit.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, again,

It is in the neighborhood of 325MB uncompressed.

What DRVSPACE should she use? On the bootfloppy there is DRVSPACE.SYS and DRVSPACE.BIN and DBLSPACE.SYS but no executable.