5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updating database on-site (2000)

I'm revising a copy of a database at home, while data is entered into an existing copy of the database. I will need to update the database to use my revised tables, forms and reports - without losing any entered data. What is the best/safest way of doing this? The complication I anticipate is the use of AutoNumbers in the tables.

I can import the forms/reports replacing the existing copies. But how should I deal with the revised table(s)? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating database on-site (2000)

Updating would be easier if you employed a split backend-frontend design, with the tables in the backend database and all other objects (queries, forms, reports, ...) in the frontend database. See <!profile=WendellB>WendellB<!/profile>'s tutorial Why Split a Database?.

For updates to forms etc., you could simply replace the frontend database with the revised version (relinking the tables if necessary).
    Perhaps the free utility BackEndUpdater (of which WMVP <!profile=carbonnb>carbonnb<!/profile> is co-author) can help propagating the modifications to tables. See Database Advisor Downloads.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have the choice currently of splitting the database. The company have a copy of the database to which they're adding data. On my copy at home I'm adding/deleting a few fields in the main table and revising forms/reports accordingly.
    I assume I can take my database with me and copy it to the same location as their current one. Create an Append Query to add in their existing data from the main table. Are there problems I might encounter because of the use of AutoNumbers? Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you include the AutoNumber field in an append query, the query will copy the existing values. If you omit the AutoNumber field, Access will assign the values automatically.

To be on the safe side, always make a backup copy of both the production database and of your development copy before trying to implement the updates.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You are building yourself a bigger problem as you go along. Split the database in the company environment. If you have to fight with their IT department, do so. The potential for disaster is much greater with both front and back end elements in the same database. If the database becomes corrupted, you will potentially lose *everything*!
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree, but I've not been given the time or opportunity to deal with this effectively. I'm modifying a copy of the database at home while they add live data to their copy. I will then go on-site to replace their copy with mine.. without losing the data they have keyed! I will then split the database on-site and eventually secure it.

This isn't the best way of dealing with it, but what can you do??!! Andy.