5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pivot table grouping rules (Excel 2000)

I have a PT where I have grouped on the PT actual accounts (data from the source) to a caption line and then grouped those captions into a top-level group "Assets" Now, I have new accounts. When I refresh the PT they appear at the bottom of the table. I am not having fun trying to move the new account into the right caption group on the PT, so that it is in that caption line and the overall "Assets" group total as well.
    What are the basic rules? Do you have to ungroup everything, for instance, or is there a way to "slip this account in the group" without going through the whole process again?
    TYIA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pivot table grouping rules (Excel 2000)

Can you add the grouping levels to the source data (by adding new columns)? Refreshing the pivot table would automatically place new accounts in the correct position.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pivot table grouping rules (Excel 2000)

Not really...the groupings are statement-level and would involve lots of lookups to match transaction-level records with the caption and top-level associated with the account. I can just dis-assemble the groupings and re-assemble them, I guess, but one would think there would be an easier way... I thought I had it earlier, but didn't. I will monkey around with it. Thanks.