New Lounger
    Thanks

Price Changes ((Access XP))

Please excuse the fact that I am a newbie, but I have a question that is probably pretty simple. Right now I have a database used for order entry and invoicing and it works fine, but my concern is that if the prices change in the future, that all my records will update with the new pricing. I am not asking for an in-depth explanation, but rather a general understanding of how to prevent this. Can someone please advise. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Price Changes ((Access XP))

Without knowing more about the table structure involved, it's a bit hard for anyone to offer any advice on problem prevention. If you elaborate on how prices are stored and how they're used in your database, perhaps someone will be able to give you some direction.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I assume that you have a price field in your products (or services or whatever) table.

One option is to add a price field to the orders table (or order details table, depending on which table contains a product id or similar). When a new record is added to this table, copy the price from the appropriate record in the products table to this new record. Even if the price of the product changes later on, the price stored in the orders table will remain unchanged.

Another, more complicated option is to add a prices table, with: product id, starting date, ending date and price. This would enable you to retrieve the price for a given product for a given date.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried the first, but I beileve because I am using a query to populate my subform it seems to update the price every time I open the record. The second way will probably work. I will have to do a little work making modification before I can try it out, but this sounds like a possible solution. I will work on it some more and will make another post if I am still having any difficulties. Thank you very much.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good luck, but the first option should be simpler - you only need some code to set the price in the orders table to that in the products table for a new record in the subform.