3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XY Scatter Chart (2000, on Win XP)

I would like to take some data in columns and make an XY scatter chart out of it, using a 3rd column with 4 letter codes as the lables for each point (instead of having a dot or square as the marker for the X and Y intersection of each row). Decades ago, this was utterly simple in Lotus 123. Yet I have never been able to get any version of Excel to do this. Is there any way? Or does anyone know how to do it in Quattro Pro? Or a forum for help on Quattro Pro? It seems crazy that such a standard scientific procedure is left out of, or so hard to figure out, in Excel... Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XY Scatter Chart (2000, on Win XP)

Download the free XY Chart Labeler add-in. It will allow you to do exactly what you want. (You'll still have to set the markers to none)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you right click on the chart and select 'chart options' then the data labels tab, if you select the 'series name' option the labels should appear.

If they do not, the setup of the data is probably slightly off - post a copy of the chart (change values as appropriate) for a further investigation.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The add-in worked perfectly. Thanks.

But being able to label the points proved something I have suspected before.... Excel is completely screwing up the data (to use the technical term). The X axis data consist of integers from 1 to 5 inclusive. Yet Excel has plotted points from 0 to about 45 or 50! Worse, the points are not in the correct relative order, for example one point should be at (3, 35) but it appears over at about (45, 35) -- if x vlaues were simply off by an order of magnitude, then one would expect it at (30, 35) but something else is wrong than 'just' a scaling error. Moreover, that point is at the extreme end of the X axis, but should be in the middle -- i.e. there are several data points that should be at x=4 and x=5.

So, in other words, the chart is worse than worthless. Does any of this make sense? I've never been able to get an XY scatter chart (about the only thing I use) to work on Excel.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can be difficult to get Excel to display a chart the way you want it to, but if it uses values completely different from what you intended/expected, there must be something wrong in the way the chart is set up. Could you post a sample spreadsheet? Replace sensitive data with dummy data, if necessary.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a simple spreadsheet of data on stocks. The 1st col. is the name of the stock as an alphabetic code - e.g. MSFT. The next col., the x axis, is the expected increase in the short term relative to other stocks ("Timliness"). The 3rd col. is the expected appreciation in the stock's price over 3-5 years as a %. The data could just as easily be rats coeded for ID with weight and running speed, etc. ... but this is a nice small data set.

The embedded chart show sthe problems given in the prev. post. Thanks for your help.

I hope the 'attach a file' facility is the right way to send this, and not just for a pic...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

XY scatter charts MUST have only numeric values for both x axis and y axis. In the source data of your chart, cell B21 contains a text value. This forces the x axis to become a category axis instead of a numeric axis: the values along the horizontal axis are not those from column B, but simply 1, 2, 3, ..., 45. If you clear B21 or change it to 0, you'll get a proper XY scatter chart using column B for the X axis.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! That solves the prbolem and also explains why I've been able to get correct plots using the same data in statistics progams, cumbersome tho that is.

That is very nasty behavior that MS has programmed into Excel....