Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Registry problems?

I'm receiving the occassional
    "A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:xxxxxxxx in VxD VMM(06) + xxxxxxxx" BSOD message. For instance
    "A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C027F04E in VxD VMM(06) + 0000304E"

MS indicates the reason for such errors are errors or damage to the registry. I've used SCANREG to check, with no errors detected. I've also recently replaced a corrupted registry with a good backup.

This error is reproducible, when I use the internal hex viewer of my archive program (ZipGenius) to view a file. The BSOD occurs when I close the viewer. It doesn't appear to be a system-fatal error. I suspect this app might be causing other similar errors, and is ultra-sluggish to load. Still, no registry errors are apparent.

Any ideas on where to proceed from here?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Registry problems?

I think I miay have nailed this. It appears to stem from the (unsuccessful) usage of the IE window size utility, of <post#=437333>post 437333</post#>. This causes a gradual buildup of problems and the BSODs mentioned, until (several reboots later) Windows announces that it's found a registry problem and replaces it with a backup copy.

Odd thing is that, before it detects said problem automatically, it picks up no problems when I run SCANREG during bootup. Once it does its own repair, all is sweet again.

Alan