2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Server 2003 problem

I am trying to view data on a Novell Server from my Windows 2003 server, and I am having troubles. I do not want to use the Novell Client and I was wondering if anyone knows a way to accomplish this task. I believe it is possible because I have a Windows NT Server that can see the Novell network just fine without the novell client. I tried to set up the Windows 2003 server the exact same way as the NT server and had no luck. Thanks for any help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Windows Server 2003 problem

More details on the setup please.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I really dont know what all to tell you other the then Windows 2003 server has all the defaults loaded and Terminal Services loaded. The novell server uses IPX. Everything is set up with static IP. The Windows server is on it own workgroup along with the NT server. I have tried using the client for netware networks, but it didnt work. Hope this helps.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

How is the networking setup on the NT server? How does this compare with the 2k3 server? With static IPs, are there any permissions that need to be set/adjusted on the Novell side?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You'll need "Client Services for Netware" and IPX (if the Netware server is using IPX better check, Netware has supported IP since version 4) loaded on the windows server.

Check your IPX frame type. It should match what the Netware server is using. Good guesses would be 802.3 or 802.2. IIRC there is also a "network number" of some sort. Doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's not the same number on different boxes.

What version of Netware is it? If you tell me, I can tell you how to check the network settings on the Netware box.

I can understand your reluctance to load the full-blown Novell Netware client 32 on a Windows server. But it probably won't actually hurt anything, if it comes to that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am trying to run a program from the windows 2003 server and I need to access data from the novell server. If the client is installed on the 2003 server, when I remote desktop into the 2003 server from another pc, I have to put in three different passwords. Without the client, I only have to used one password which if fine. I am using netware version 5. Thanks for you help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, passwords are a fact of life in the computer bizz. Having to put an extra one or two in from time to time is hardly unusual, certainly not an indication that something is seriously broken.

Use the console command "INETCFG" to check up on the network settings for the Novell server. Or, that data may be in the file autoexec.ncf.

Netware 5 is fully able to use IP as well.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

the problem with the passwords is that when a person logs into the server when the client is installed, they then become the current login on teh computer. It makes you put in a windows password and a client password. I dont want this person to be the person logged into the server. I wouldnt mind the extra passwords, but they being logged into the server after they log out of the remote console presents an issue.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure I understand your situation enough to offer a complete solution, but here's a sugestion.

Go to http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase for "AutoAdmin logon" you should be able to find a document and a link to a utility that will talks about all the ways you can automatically log into a netware on windows server using a registry entries. This might help you.

Also, you might look into a Novell product that used to be called "NDS for NT" , but was later renamed to eDirectory ( and it might have a different name now, not sure <g>). I don't use this program, but it is a way to combine windows rights under Novell's NDS directory. This is sort of backwards to what you want , but it might be useful.

The last thing you might want to look into is "Native File Access" . I'm not sure when this was included in Netware versions , but it lets you use CIFS (common intenet file systems) or other methods to contact Netware servers.

You might try asking some questions on forums.novell.com , they are pretty helpful there.