New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost system.ini in win98se

Recently my home PC lost its SYSTEM.INI in one of my removable hard drives (the one connected to the internet and protected by NAV and NIS). I don't, and may never, understand how this happened, but I would like to know from other users whether this can be fixed for less than the cost of a new (probably DELL) computer. My PC has a Pentium II heart, and has worked like a champ for years. The hard drive not connected to the internet is in great shape. Constructive and kind, please, comments appreciated.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Lost system.ini in win98se

Hi Susan,

Not quite sure what you mean when referring to hard drives "connected to the internet". In any event, would this article help?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

I think it will help, and will try this evening at home. I have what I have hear described as an eagle's nest. Two separate hard disks in plastic holders which are alternatively inserted into the big box in which the CPU is located. Windows 98 SE was installed on both disks by a relative who took the CD with him to another island. Is it possible to copy the SYSTEM.INI file from the working hard disk to the non-working hard disk? Not to worry, I'm waiting for a tech business to get back to me and I'll pay them to fix this. I sure wish the solution were as simple as copying a file and pasting it into the broken part. Oh well, maybe some day.... Thanks much.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There's no harm in giving that a try. You could transfer it to a floppy (if possible) then across to the other HD. Alternatively, just use the one in the link Rebel mentioned. The latter is probably a better choice, since it only tries to load native drivers, nothing specific to your working HD.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Alan that you probably wouldn't hurt anything to try to copy the file from your other drive. But, I have another route you (or your tech guy) might want to try. Boot the system with a DOS-like floppy disk with the "bad" hard drive inserted in the box. Use "old" DOS commands to search around on the hard drive for some form of the file which may be there in a backup form or some variation. By that I mean look for the word SYSTEM.* or *.INI or anything else you can dream up. You just might find a file, for example, called SYSTEM.OLD or something like that.