JCBunnell

Query re:new template-security patch

Just got the new WOW issue describing the RTF security loophole with respect to attached templates.

As I'm running Word 2000, I figured I'd go download the patch -- but what I discovered when I followed the link is that the patch says it requires Office 2000 SR-1/1a.

Now I don't have the SR installed, because as I recall that's the update that does severely annoying things to Outlook 2000, and I like my Outlook just the way it is, thank you (with settings suitably modified to disable Evil Scriptery).

Thus the question. Is Microsoft telling me that I have to cripple Outlook in order to fix this Word problem, or is there a workaround that I'm not seeing?

Thanks

Re: Query re:new template-security patch

It's the SR-2 patch that messes with Outlook. The SR-1 fixes many annoying bugs (the kind always in a new release from Microsoft in my experience). I just downloaded the thing myself.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Query re:new template-security patch

I, too, went to check out this update after getting my WOW issue. I havethe SR1a and the SP2 patch (since my firm doesn't use Outlook), yet when I tried to install this new update I got an error message which implied that my version was already updated (see attached file). I chose the ignore option and the patch appeared to install anyway (i.e., I got the "successfully installed") message. However, the version number on the winword.exe file which was supposed to change to .5302 (I think) did not change. What's going on?
    Attached Images Attached Images