Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cells combine at random when printing (2000)

I'm stumped. All of a sudden when I print Excel sheets that I have used for years I am getting the contents of certain cells combining for no apparent reason. It is happening in older documents as well as new, which leads me to believe there is a formatting change somewhere. But I cannot find it. Example: I have a standardized weekly timesheet I have used 52 weeks a year for the past three years. On the screen everything looks normal and correct. When I print, I have it set to print the gridlines between cells. What happens (as an example) is that the gridlines in column B disappear between rows 8 & 9, and also between rows 13 & 14, 15 & 16, 23 & 24. So it looks like the contents are one big cell on two lines. If I open another document the same things may happen--but between different groups of cells--or the same cells. It is always only two cells, but they are different cells in different documents. I have tried universally reformatting the entire spread sheet--no change. I tried widening or shrinking the rows, and/or columns--no change. I tried deleting the affected areas altogether and just keeping the "good cells". Then they form aberrations. I even tried making up entirely new spread sheets to replace the existing ones. They develop the same aberrations. I have some older spreadsheets that print just fine, with no problems--so it is not universal to all Excel. I have inserted cells and deleted cells, rows and columns. The affected areas may change--shifting up or down or sideways, depending on what I add or delete, but they never go away. And remember-this only happens in printing. On the screen everything is perfect and shown as it should be. I have searched Excel help, and every conceivable text wrap subject and nothing I do works. Can anybody help? One friend suggested it may be a printer problem but that doesn't make sense to me. All my other documnets print just fine--and some Excel, too.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cells combine at random when printing (2000)

Just to satisfy your friend with the faulty- printer suggestion, have you tried printing the same sheets on another printer / cable and even a different computer?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I printed a doc on my usual computer and had the usual problems. Then I downloaded it to a disk, took it to another computer/printer, uploaded it and printed. It came out perfectly. So--as crazy as it seems to me--apparently the problem is in the printer. ARGGGH! All the time spent formatting and reformatting these documents....SIGH. Thanks so much for your help with this!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Peter

All I can think of off hand is that perhaps some odd formatting of cell borders has crept in. It may not be apparent on the screen, but might be visible in the printed rendering. How do these rogue sheets look in Print Preview? One thing to try is to select the whole sheet, then set cell borders uniformly to the default, or to whatever you prefer to use. See if that makes a difference

Alan

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Most likely, the problem in in the printer driver not the printer itself. Check the manufacturer's WEB site for the most current driver.
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I will do that tonight. Thanks!