Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

missing dll file

Can anyone tell me how to retrieve a missing .dll file? During startup I get an Error Starting Program box that says, "a required dll file was not found: LIBNSPR4.dll. It doesn't give me any information about what program it's trying to start.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: missing dll file

Googling for the DLL shows this: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/p.../using_jss.html, from which it is clear that the DLL relates to the "NSPR OS abstraction layer".

Are you any the wiser?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, no - I guess I'll try the link and see where it leads. Thanks for searching for me.
    Lana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You didn't say which OS you're running, but could it be possible that something you've removed from your system lately may have left an entry in the SYSTEM.INI or WIN.INI files and is causing Windows to look for a non-existing file? Wouldn't hurt to take a look into those two INI files to see.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, that is what happened, and I'd be glad to get rid of whatever program it thinks it is looking for - can you tell me how to do that? (Incidentally, I'm running Windows 98 SE and this message started showing up after I ran a spyware program and deleted some files.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

System.Ini and Win.Ini are both plain text files, so you can edit them with Notepad. Open each file and look for LIBNSPR4.DLL. If you find a line with that file on it, you want to make a copy and duplicate the line for possible "changing our minds" later. I'm going to show a fictitious line below.

CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll

Now I'm going to duplicate the entry, put a semicolon in front of it to disable the line. Then, on the duplicate entry, remove the name of the DLL file, like this:

;CMCDLLNAME32=mapi32.dll
    CMCDLLNAME32=

If all this doesn't make sense, let me know and we'll see if I can re-write this suggestion more clearly. If you do it, save the file and re-start Windows to see if the problem is gone.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Just to add to Al's (excellent) method of making changes to .INI files, you could interupt the boot process (pressing F8 or whatever it is on your own system) and select the "step by step" option available on the menu (can't remember the exact wording of this option). Watch what's happening on the screen and you should be able to identify exactly where the problem command lives. It sounds most likely that it will appear once you begin processing SYSTEM.INI during this step-by-step method.

Alan

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I suppose I have misled you with the 'startup process' terminology. I tried both of your suggestions (opened each of the two files in Word, did a Find, nothing found). Restarted in the step-by-step mode and everything worked as it should (I guess). All of a sudden I got the MS Networking Password box, then the task bar appeared, then the background and desktop loaded. This is the point where the Error Starting Program popped up - do you suppose I have something in my Programs-Start-Up file that is looking for this or is it something system-generated? While I would like to solve the problem, the computer still seems to work okay except that my screen disappears oddly - like in three stages from top to bottom instead of all at once AND it runs rather slow (but it's 5 years old), so I can live with it by simply closing the warning window. What do you think? I did notice a few lines in the System and Win.ini files that have nothing after the = signs, should I be concerned with that? Example; keyboard.dll=, oemansi.bin=, subtype=, and [windows] run=, and [Sounds] SystemDefault=.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If there's nothing after the = sign, then nothing happens as a result of that line! Just ignore these.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John, that's reassuring and I will ignore them. Lana

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Something is being called to start from somewhere and it is asking for that .dll. Options:

1) Use a "Startup Program" to identify where the .dll is being called from.
    2) Do an intensive search of your hard disk for any file containing that combination of letters.

I am quite certain that one or both of those methods could be used to identify and then resolve the issue.

But, you might have to use a more robust Startup Program than usual -- something like DiamondCS's AutoStart Explorer, Sysinternals' AutoRuns, or Merijn's StartupList. The problem with using more robust programs is that they can be more complicated! But you can always post back here if you have questions.

Next, I also don't feel that the Window's Search applet is the most robust or reliable one. If you use something like Agent Ransack to look completely through your hard drive for TEXT containing the name of the .dll, it will likely identify the source -- whether it be in your Registry, an ".ini" file, or ANYWHERE else.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    This project may be beyond my computer prowess. I don't even know what you mean by a 'startup program.' If you can explain what it is and how it works I may be able to try it.
    I did a search for the letters (just using the Windows find option - I haven't downloaded any of the software you mentioned yet) as you suggested and they were found in the following: KHOST.LGC under Applog; c:windowskdx (there is a khost.exe; kdx.inf; kpreader.exe; zlib.dll and klws.dll in this kdx file). I have no idea what any of that means. Do you know if I can remove it - how I can find out what it is - if it is involved in the problem? Thanks for all the suggestions.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Cnet/download.com use something called "secure delivery" and khost is related to that. You may see an icon in your system tray - looks sort of like a little greenish wolf face. It's related to downloading software from various machines across the internet. Disabling it alone won't be sufficient. You need to uninstall it from add/remove programs.

If you type "msconfig" (without " marks) into the Start -> Run... box, then click the Startup tab, you might see an entry for khost as khost.exe. To stop this running on the next reboot, uncheck its box.

Alan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, no mean to confuse said he. No, it is not beyond your prowess at all. If I am unable to communicate the solution to you, then it is my prowess that is sub-par -- not yours.

OK, I just put down my drink, so I can think clearly. ;-]

When Windows starts, it needs to "start" various other programs that run in conjunction with it -- like your anti-virus program. There is actually a unique hierarchy that specifies how Window's starts each program. There is some piece of "code" written somewhere that tells Windows to "run" that specific .dll each time Windows starts. We need to find exactly WHERE in the start up process that piece of code exists.

There are a multitude of Startup Programs on the market that investigate the startup sequence (or "axis"). These tell you what on your computer has been specified to start with Windows. Some are more basic and not very complete (like what has been given to you by Microsoft -- i.e., msconfig.exe), and others are more thorough -- like the ones I posted.

Whenever I have a problem, I want to use the most powerful tool that I have a my disposal. The more robust "Startup Programs" look deep and wide to find where this code might exist. If there is a clear-cut finding by a Startup Program, then your problem is solved. Delete the offending entry in the Startup Axis, and you won't see that message again. Until you find out WHERE to call is being made to run the .dll, you will never be able to solve your problem.

Now, Alan is 100% correct -- if you can find the offending entry using msconfig, then you may be finished. So, certainly give that a try first.

KHOST.LGC, khost.exe, kdx.inf, kpreader.exe, zlib.dll, and klws.dll are probably ALL related to the problem (as Alan points out), but deleting those may not fix your Startup Axis. If Alan is 100% correct, then a call is being made to run Khost.exe, and that in turn may rely on the .dll in question. However, if you delete Khost.exe, then you have possibly fixed one problem and created another. Now you will get a message saying that "Khost.exe cannot be located"! So you need to find the offending call in the Startup Axis and delete it there first.

For background, a Dynamic Link Library (.dll) file is an "application exention" -- something that another program uses to give it more 'abilities' or 'functions'. Most DLL's are run by specific programs, although many programs can share the same DLL's. For example, Windows Explorer will share DLL's with IE -- that way the programmers only have to write the code once. Some .dll's can be "run" without a specific other program running them. Instead a 'generic' Windows program (rundll32.exe) will run them.

So, if your DLL is being used by Khost.exe and there is a call to Start Khost.exe during the Startup Axis, removing that call will fix the problem. **Try Alan's advice first.** But, if that does not work, I would recommend using Startup List (above). This will give you a text file listing ALL of the things that get Started with Windows. On this list (I suspect) will be a call to Start Khost.exe.

Another possible solution Alan mentions -- go to Add/Remove Programs and try to remove "Secure Delivery". Might work as well. Might not. You may need to find the folder holding the program and uninstall it there.

Lots of options... ;-]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK - I'll try the simpler things tonight (maybe, if I have the time and energy) and if they don't work will then wait 'til the weekend when I have more time. Thank you both again for checking back and offering more help. Lana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast