New Lounger
    Thanks

Visible Space Character

This is tricky to explain, since it involves braille and is a multi-part problem, but here goes.

I'm writing a technical book in Word 2003, which requires the use of a special font called "SimBraille". For those who at least know what braille is, this is a font which displays braille dots similar to the MS Office supplied "Braille" font. There is however a subtle difference. Where the braille dots would actually be produced, you see a large printed dot. Where the dots would NOT be produced, you see a very small printed dot.

Now thanks to an earlier question on this forum re Font editors, I was able to modify the space character (U+0020) to visually display six small dots. That's great because sighted readers can now see, and count, spaces.

However, there has been an unexpected visual affect, in so much as it now reveals a "hidden" space at the end of lines in Word, where for example a hard carriage return or paragraph mark would be. (Even with Paragraph Marks hidden) I've attached a jpeg which illustrates the problem - that last small dot braille charcter should NOT be visible in print.

The obvious solution might appear to be to replace the "space" with another modified unused character. A serious pain in the proverbial to type up, but doable. That's fine for print - and of it was just a one off situation..

However, the same Word document also has to be produced in actual hard copy braille, and the braille translation program needs to see an actual space character for a true space.

If it was a one off book, that would be fine, but it is subject to on-going revisions.

I realise this is a way out sort of question, but it's some up and smacked us in the face like a wet fish.

George.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Visible Space Character

Hi George

If I understand the situation correctly, each hard or soft return is preceded by this unwanted "space" character? Although I can't think of what its cause might be, is it possible to run a couple of search & replaces, just prior to printing, to eliminate them? I know this is not getting to the root of the problem, but incorporating this as part of a "print macro" might bandaid the problem until its cause can be identified.

What happens if you delete one of these extraneous "spaces"? Does it return when the document is reopened?

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Visible Space Character

George

That is quite simply the way Word works, so that any rearrangement of text by inserting or removing words from within a paragraph can be dealt with correctly.

If you do Tools -> Options -> View -> Formatting marks and put a tick in the All box, you will see that every "word" is followed by (one or more) spaces or punctuation marks. It doesn't matter where the "word" is located -- this is true whether it is is within the line or at the end of it.

I can't think of any easy way to get what you want, short of replacing the final space on a line with a carriage return...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...