Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing Contacts and Sending Emails (2003)

I understand that to use someone else

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing Contacts and Sending Emails (2003)

in 2003, when someone grants you permission to their Contacts, you should click on your contacts, click on "Open Shared Contacts" and insert your colleague's name. (This is a one-time step). Henceforth, you will see your contacts on top, and then you will see a section entitiled OTHER CONTACTS, with your colleague's name. When you click on your colleague' name, all his/her contacts are visible. Right-clicking on a contact allows you to "NEW MESSAGE TO CONTACT." These contacts will not appear in the SELECT NAMES dialog box.

Depending on what your team does, you may find it useful to set up a public folder for contacts or not, rather than sharing each other's address books. A public folder can be set up to be visible when you invoke the Address Book feature, thus allowing you to start an email, and click on the TO... button in the email to locate the address. A public folder is usually set up by the Exchange administrator, although not always.

I would suggest that everyone in the team agree NOT to copy contacts from one folder to the other, as this leads to confusion about which contact is more recent/accurate. My boss copied some distribution lists from my contacts, and when I updated my lists, she did not think to update hers. It took some time before she realized that her emails were going astray. Even worse, the nickname file that does the auto-complete of addresses seems never to pick up the update -- one is supposed to delete the nickname, but I don't have the knack.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sharing Contacts and Sending Emails (2003)

Thanks Eowyn - the public folder route seems the best option.