Lounger
    Thanks

ie 'page not available' (IE6)

Hi all, sorry if this is answered elsewhere but i couldn't find it if it is...

a colleague in work has the following problem: she needs to procure items from a site... she logs in with username and password, orders what she needs with a shopping cart, then when she clicks on "save" on the page, gets the "page not available" message when she tries to save her procurement request... I've logged into the site using her name and password, placed an order, and clicked saved and all went well for me.... Can anyone give me any pointers as to why she would have this problem?

thanks in advance for any help

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: ie 'page not available' (IE6)

What spy blocker and pop up blockers are running on her machine?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Has she also cleared TIF & History?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi guys

thanks for the replies... I'm afraid I don't have the answers to hand at the moment... but I'll try to find out and get back to you..

thanks again

Lounger
    Thanks

here's all the extra info i could find... i hope that this might make the proplem clearer.....

There was a migration from Windows2000 to XP and since then, the problem has been happening.... So could it be some setting caused by this migration to XP that could be the problem, with regard to settings, etc..... Also excuse my ignorance, but what's TIF?

Again thanks in advance for any advise....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Select Tools | Internet Options...
    In the General tab, click the 'Delete Files' button, then click OK to delete the files in the Temporary Ineternet Files (=TIF) folder.
    Also click the 'Clear History' button and click OK to clear the history of visited web sites.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Agree with the above, but other things to consider:

Pop-up blockers? Is the new "save" page supposed to be "popped-up" leaving the old page still open behind it? You could verify that on your machine.

JavaScript turned off? Is the new "save" page created via JavaScript and the user has this disabled, thereby preventing the page from being created?

Security Certificate or Cipher Strength issue? I am stretching a bit here, but does the new page on *your* computer begin with "https:" and not just "http:"? (I don't think the Cipher Strength problem would be occuring on an XP box, but who knows!)

Cookie issue? Presumedly the site is using cookies to store the shopping cart data. BUT... maybe the data is not written to the cookie until the save button is clicked. One way to verify this would be to search for the site's cookie and see if there is one stored on her computer.

Regardless, could you have her look at the "Status Bar" (that bar at the bottom of the IE window) to see what, if any, messages appear as she tries to "Save"? There might be a nice little clue there.

Additionally, to increase the functionality of the site in question, she may want to enter it into her Trusted sites zone. That would entail going to Tools | Internet Options | Security tab | Trusted sites (select) | Sites button. Then, REMOVE the check in the "Require server verification..." box and add the main site in the box up top.

Good luck.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much for your help guys... and d'oh don't i feel stupid ... TIF!!! again many thanks and i'll try out your options.... I'll let you know if any of them worked. Thanks again.