Lounger
    Thanks

Tracking Progress (98)

I have read that if progress reports indicate that actual duration, work or costs or revised estimates for these do not match the current schedule, I should change the schedule before I record actual start dates or that the work is completed.

Is this the case?

Am I right in thinking that if a task is marked with an increased actual duration ( e.g in the Update Tasks dialogue), the current scheduled duration will be changed to match as well as the task being marked as 100% complete. Therefore it is not necessary to change the schedule first.

Is this example the exception? Does it make a difference if the revised estimate is for tasks which are to be marked as only partially complete?

Hoping you can help clear this fog.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tracking Progress (98)

Hi Alice,
    If you change the schedule to match actuals then you will defeat the purpose of tracking acutals against schedule. I guess you could, if you had captured the schedule into a baseline but what would be the purpose of doing the same work twice? I use the tracking table to record actual start or finish entered manually if they do not match the schedule. Another more detailed way to track actual work is to use the Task Usage view, right click in the column called Details where the work entry is repeated and add actual work. This allows you to update actual work per day per resource.

Because of the default effort driven scheduling Project uses I have found using Actual Duration and Remaining Duration to update the plan brings some unexpected results. I would recommend against using either field for updating. In the alternative use one of the above methods.

What happens to the rest of the schedule when you have a later Actual Finish is dependent on if the successor task is marked as complete or is still in the active part of the project. If the successor task is complete then the later actual finish will just be updated. If the successor task is in the active part of the project ( not marked as any percent complete) and is on the critical path the project finish date will move out correspondingly.

Remember when entering an actual finish date it implies end of business on that day. If you are using sequentially linked tasks and they are spanning half days you will get a half day slippage if you only enter the date. You can get a half day by entering something like 1/15/2004 12:00 PM.

Hope this clears up some things, again this is certainly not the only way, just some strategies that have worked well for me.
    Carla

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tracking Progress (98)

Thanks Carla - especially the extra tip about close of business!
    Alice