5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Convert Smith Corona PWP documents (Word 2002)

An elderly friend has been using a Smith Corona Word Processing system to save documents, records, etc. The format is called PWP. He saves the data to a 720 KB floppy disk. Is there any way to convert the PWP data into Word data?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Convert Smith Corona PWP documents (Word 2002)

A Google search doesn't turn up any existing converters. It seems that .PWP files are plain text files, with a file header containing meta-information, and formatting codes in the text itself. If you can read the floppy disks at all on a PC, you might try opening the files in WordPad, or in Word using the 'Recover Text from Any File' option in 'Files of Type'. You'll lose all formatting, though.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How many files are there? Is it important to retain the formatting? As Hans mentioned, you can probably recover the text itself fairly easily, but you'd lose the formatting. If you really needed the formatting, that file format seems relatively simple, from the spec I found. If I knew it would be used, I might consider taking a stab at a converter myself.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Found this site that has a converter to go from PWP to WordPerfect, which Word does have a filter for. Hope it helps!

http://www.dkeith.clara.co.uk/lwp/index.htm

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This question is cross-posted with additional answers in <post#=441688>post 441688</post#>. I have locked this thread so we can keep the discussion to one place.

StuartR