5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox and Audio (Firefox 1.0 and Audio FX)

I like Firefox but at the moment when I mouse over a hot spot that should initiate a wav sound I get a message saying a plugin is missing. This seems to be indicating that I should install Apple quicktime. Last time I tried that I remember having all kinds of grief even though I set a restore point (I'm using Windows XP PRO SP2). Do I really need to install Apple Quick time to hear wav files? Internet Explorer doesn't require this. Is there some other choice.? Also, can people browsing with Macs actually hear wav files? The reason I ask is that I am in the process of rebuilding my site and wonder if I should be employing flash for sound effects?

Thanks for any pointers the good people here can give me.

Best wishes,

Chris (Hunt)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Firefox and Audio (Firefox 1.0 and Audio FX)

Firefox requires a plug-in to play wav files which is why it is asking for the Quicktime plug-in to be installed. What problems did you have when you tried to install Quicktime?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Tony, thanks for the reply. It was so long ago that I don' t exactly remember. I think it was trouble with it grabbing file associations though I seem to remember my computer got unstable as well. If there is no alternative then I guess I might risk it again.

Chris

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

QuickTime's current install routine gives you the choice of which file associations it takes and whehterr it should "grab them back" if they get assigned elsewhere. It also does give you a Control Panel applet that allows you to make/change these settings at any other time.

If you want to, you can have a Windows Media Player plug-in with Firefox. Links for both QT and WMP are at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html

HTH
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, for the link. Do you know what Internet Explorer uses to play wav files. Is that a built in connection to Media Player. I actually use winamp . I use media player to let me show different icons for different file types but I get winamp to actually play the files. Do I need Media Player 10 to work with FireFox or can I use an older version?

Best wishes,

Chris

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Effectively, WMP does play wav files. My winamp/WMP setup is the same as yours - although the Firefox plug-in I use is QT. AFAIK the latest version of WMP isn't necessary for the plug-in to work. HTH
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi again, I'm a little confused. Do you mean if I used WMP rather than Winamp I could use it to hear Wav files in Firefox? If I want to keep using Winamp it seems I need to use Quick Time as the plug in for Firefox?

Thanks,

Chris

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

AFAIK there is no Winamp plug-in for IE (or Firefox). If you want something to play inside your browser, you'll need to set it to use either WMP or QT. Provided your configure your plug-in correctly (see my earlier posts), you should be able to play WAV files outside of your browser with winamp as ever.

Playing a WAV file inside IE will result it playing on whichever version of WMP you have installed - not winamp. Clicking on an IE link and having it play in winamp - at least for me - happens by a separate winamp window opening to play the file. A plug-in means that the browser itself plays the file. RealPlayer operates a plug-in (at least for IE) - but that is not in the scope of our discussion.

Hoping very much that I have not confused you further.
    Gre

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I think I get it. I don't find the Firefox plugins page very useful as it directs me to install Windows Media Player 10 rather than telling me how to get Windows Media Player to work as a plugin. Actually, I'm not sure what WMP I have on my machine. Did version 9 come with Windows XP SP2? The reason I ask is that when I try to use WMP now a setup routine for Version 9 pops up. At the moment I have the download option in Firefox set to play wav files in winamp, but as you mentioned winamp actually opens up before it plays anything.

Thanks again,

Chris