5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change Footer in Normal Template (2000)

I got this email from a co-worker - have no clue what to tell her. She apparently wants to change her normal template to include a footer - which she managed to do, it says here. Can this be done?

Thanks

Hi there!

Thanks to you I was able to change in Excel the "new" book to the font and pitch I want.

I was not, however, able to update the template to show a footer so that when I name the book, it adds it to the footer.

Instructions from Microsoft to change the normal template are as follows:

Cocuments and Settingsuser nameApplication DataMicrosoftTemplates.

I opened the normal.xlt sheet, made the footer update and saved. However, when I open by hitting Control and N, it does not show the footer.

When you have time, can you look into this for me?

Thanks!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Change Footer in Normal Template (2000)

Excel does not use a Normal.xlt as default workbook template. I think your co-worker is confusing Excel with Word, where Normal.dot is the default document template. The file should be named Book.xlt, and a copy should be named Sheet.xlt, and both should be stored in

Cocuments and Settingsuser nameApplication DataMicrosoftExcelXLSTART

instead of in the Templates folder. The names Book.xlt and Sheet.xlt are obligatory.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you - again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There are a couple of things. First, as Hans said, if she is creating the new workbook by just opening Excel, then what he said applies. If, as your messages seems to imply, she is creating the workbook by hitting Ctrl+N and then selecting a template named Normal.xlt from the template folder, then she is already doing it correctly.

However, she can not create the footer in the template that puts the workbook name into the footer since the workbook is not named when the footer is created from the template. Therefore, what gets put into the footer is the blank workbook name. To do what she is asking would require VBA code in the Workbook BeforeSave event routine that put the workbook name into the footer.

One other problem may be how she is opening and saving the Normal.xlt template. She has to open the template as a template (not as a new workbook as described in her note to you), and then save it as a template (.xlt) back into the template directory.
    Legare Coleman

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>creating the workbook by hitting Ctrl+N and then selecting a template named Normal.xlt from the template folder<hr>
    The funny thing is, when one selects File, New, one is presented with a list of templates to select from (in XP and 2003 in the task pane, earlier versions show a dialog). But when one hits control-n (as the menu shows as being the shortcut!!!), one gets a copy of the Book.xlt template if one is there.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply - she emailed me she believes whatever she did is working for her so - that's it for all of us! Again, thanks.

Aunt Linda